Access to central backup location

• Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

SQL Server service accounts; the default (and recommended) service account is NT Service\MSSQLServer virtual service account - which is shown as MSSQLSERVER locally - if you want to assign permissions to a local location. Fine, that's OK, works.

For network resources, as far as I understand it (or think I do, anyway), a virtual service on a box is made visible to the network using the <Domain>\<Computer>$ credential. Eg for box Bimble on Domain Wimble - if I want to give access to a directory on backupServer1, I simply assign rights to Wimble\Bimble$ and SQL Server should get those rights.

This, or so I thought, should allow SQL Server access to that location. The thing is, when trying to access that location, it's throwing an access denied error. But it works fine with LocalSystem.

Do I need to do some additional configuration to allow the Virtual Service account to be shown via <Domain>\<Computer>$ - and if so, does anyone know what on earth it is?

cheers

Andrew

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• If you want to access network resources you should use either a managed service account or a domain account

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx#Default_Accts

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply