access Rights to Profiler

• can i ristrict access right to run the Profiler specific to a Database. I need to give permission to user to run trace only to one database not to all in the server.

i know i can Grant Permission to Trace using

GRANT ALTER TRACE TO [username]

thanks in advance

• To my knowledge, that's a server level permission setting. We got around it by allowing developers the ability start a SQL Agent job that then started the trace.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi Grant,

Your work around for delegating profiler access is intriguing. Could you please take a few moments to share this setup, so it would help the rest of the community?

Thank you.

• anand.ramanan (2/1/2014)

Hi Grant,

Your work around for delegating profiler access is intriguing. Could you please take a few moments to share this setup, so it would help the rest of the community?

Thank you.

Nothing to it really. You set up a job in SQL Agent. It should run as the system administrator. I'd suggest reading up on how to use trace from the command line and putting in a stop point based on file size or time so the thing doesn't just run away, and naming the trace so you know which one it is (although, it's possible to create a second job that attempts to stop a named job the same as this one). Then you add the user to one of the fixed roles for agent and set up a proxy account for executing the steps. It's already all documented by Microsoft.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply