Access Remote SQL Server

• Hi

i am in different city in different domain with some firewalls in company but i have to access my sql server which is at my home.

Plz suggest how can i use Network Utilites for that.

What are the steps to be taken for that.

Thanks

• I don't use network utilities, so I can't help with that.

However, what Port does your home SQL Server use? If it's the default then it's listening on 1433. Check with your firewall people, most firewalls are now blocking 1433. If that is the issue, talk nicely to them and they might allow your IP address through the firewall on that port.

Also, can you PING your SQL Server from your computer?

-SQLBill

• you should be able to connect with the ip of your home computer if its running sockets. Be aware that this is a secuirty issue and you should have a firewall at home. If you decide to allow 1433, you should limit it to certain ips, like your external work ip only and not a general conneciton from anywhere on the internet.

• Open TCP 1433 on your home firewall, and UDP 1434.  On a side note; I'm not sure why the udp port wasn't mentioned, perhaps someone can enlighten me if opening the udp is not recommended. 

Like Steve says, this is a security concern.  First and foremost, make sure you have sp3 or sp3a installed on the sql server.  Understand that your sql server will now be available to anyone on the net, unless you take further precautions to prevent access.  If you go the route of restricting ip addresses, consider your mobile ip and hotel external ip.  Consider enabling the remote admin capability on your firewall in case you get "stuck" (but this is another security hole).. 

I've never come across this, but it is also possible that your worksite can restrict outgoing traffic on those ports.  I wouldn't worry about this, but is good to keep in mind if you just can't get it to work. 

-Ken

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply