Access mdb file previously working on Visual Fox Pro, now we are on SQL server

• Hi! Just a little background on this issue. So we have this Access .mdb file that HR uses to pull pension information from Sage 100 Contractor. The latter was running v19.7 and Visual FoxPro before we upgraded to the newer version v20.x which now runs with SQL Server as its database. Now that we are using SQL server, I'm having trouble making that access file to pull information to the new database.

The specific error I'm getting when I'm trying to run anything is: The "Access file" could not find actrec object. This object is an actrec.dbf in the old database (Visual FoxPro). Is there any way to fix this?

/edit: Below is the code I'm trying to edit. I'm not a pro at VBA but I can edit them upon research.

Option Compare Database

Private Sub cmdRefresh_Click()

On Error GoTo Err_cmdRefresh_Click

Dim dbs As Database

Dim tbl As Recordset

Dim count As Integer

Dim intNum As Integer

Set dbs = CurrentDb

Set tbl = dbs.OpenRecordset("tblRefresh", dbOpenDynaset)

Dim stconnect As String

stconnect = "ODBC;DRIVER=SQL Server;DSN=Sage 100 Contractor SQL;Database={database_name};Exclusive=No;BackgroundFetch=Yes;Collate=Machine;Null=Yes;Deleted=Yes;;TABLE="

Dim stDocName As String

varReturn = SysCmd(acSysCmdSetStatus, "Importing")

intNum = tbl.RecordCount

count = 1

tbl.MoveFirst

Do Until tbl.EOF

stDocName = tbl!Table

'delete current table

DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, stDocName

'import new table

stconnect = stconnect & stDocName

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "ODBC Database", stconnect, acTable, stDocName, stDocName

count = count + 1

'SysCmd(acSysCmdUpdateMeter, "Importing") = count

tbl.MoveNext

Loop

SysCmd (acSysCmdClearStatus)

MsgBox "Master Builder Tables have been refreshed."

Exit_cmdRefresh_Click:

tbl.Close

Set dbs = Nothing

Exit Sub

Err_cmdRefresh_Click:

MsgBox Err.Description

Resume Exit_cmdRefresh_Click

End Sub

Private Sub cmdExit_Click()

On Error GoTo Err_cmdExit_Click

DoCmd.Close

Exit_cmdExit_Click:

Exit Sub

Err_cmdExit_Click:

MsgBox Err.Description

Resume Exit_cmdExit_Click

End Sub

Private Sub Detail_Click()

Dim frm As String

Dim twd As String

frm = "{company database path}"

twd = "{company database backup path}"

End Sub

• Since you are now trying to connect to SQL Server, you will likely need to setup an ODBC Data Source on the system in HR - has that been done? If so, you should be able to link to the SQL Server table that contains the data you are after, although that presumes they kept the schema fairly similar to what you had in FoxPro. Then is is simply a matter of running a make-table query to copy the data you are after. Doing that would not require any VBA.

One other issue you may encounter is SQL Server security. Your userID will either need to be granted read permissions, and the process for doing that depends on whether the Sage app is using Standard Security or Integrated Security. Post back if you encounter problems with the above approach.

Wendell
    Colorful Colorado
    You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

• I'm not sure if I'm doing it right though. I've linked the SQL database to Access. I've done it with a valid user (connection test was successful). What bugs me is whenever I try to run the program, it still references to the Visual FoxPro. Like in Visual FoxPro, the tables are separate .dbf files (right?) but in SQL server, tables are now under 1 database umbrella which is only 1 .mdf file.

/edit: Also, how do I check the currentdb set? There is this part of the code:

Set dbs = CurrentDb

Set tbl = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT * from tblImport ORDER BY jobnum", dbOpenDynaset)

Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("tblABCOveride", dbOpenDynaset)

I want to know what is the database being pointed to by the CurrentDb code.

• What I suggested, perhaps obliquely, is that you don't need to run code to do what you are trying to do if you have the table actually linked into your current database. But to answer your questions:

You are correct - SQL Server (like Access) stores all the tables in one file, or depending on the design, in multiple files if the database is distributed or very large.

CurrentDb refers to the current ACCESS database, not to FoxPro or SQL Server.

[code}Set tbl = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT * from tblImport ORDER BY jobnum", dbOpenDynaset)

Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("tblABCOveride", dbOpenDynaset)[/code]

Those statements are simply opening tables that Access knows about - they are either local Access tables or linked tables from SQL Server or FoxPro or....

The VBA code you posted is essentially counting the records in the external table using DAO - not very efficient - and then deleting the existing Access table and doing an import to replace the table. I don't see any reference to the actrec.dbf in your VBA, so I suspect it is a linked FoxPro table in your Access database that cannot be located, but that is strictly a guess.

Without a good deal more information about your table structures and the version of Access and file type (.mdb or .accdb), we won't be able to provide much more assistance. EDIT - I missed your mention of the file type in your title - so we know you are working with a .mdb format database.

Wendell
    Colorful Colorado
    You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply