Access connection to SQL shows as system account in SQL Monitor

• SQL Server 2000 SP3 on Windows Server 2000 latest service pack

Workstations XP sp2 with Office 2003

SQL ODBC driver 2000.85.1117.00

System DSN's using NT Authentication used with Access.

As of the date of the last OS server patch and XP Server patch, users logging in to several Access database linking tables from SQL server show in the SQL EM Monitor as being logged in as the Domain system account that runs SQL server instead of their own domain account. These users are logged into their machines with their own account and have no way of knowing the ID and password of the account that runs SQL.

Does anyone know if there was something in the Windows 2000 server patch or the XP Professional Desktop patch that could change the way ODBC communicates with SQL?

mbg

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• what kind of connection and authentication is set up in the odbc on their machine if you go and have a look at it by hand for the machines odbc data sources?

martin

• The application MS Access. The DSN is a system DSN. The security is NT Authentication. When I see the user in the activity monitor, their login shows as the system domain account, but the host is their machine.

mbg

• long shot - any account impersonation going on somewhere in your system? ive no idea if its possible with your setup but I know that can be an issue e.g with .net/sql server

martin

• I thought about that also but I don't know where the impersonation would have been set up at. The SQL server is dedicated to SQL and does not have any .net extensions on it. I've never set up any sort of impersonation for the user in question. He claims to not know what the SQL system user's password is. I also checked his workstation and he does not have VS .net 2003 loaded and is not connected to any web sites running .net.

I also wonder if it could be an undetected virus on the workstation. This started happening on Aug 12, a few hours before the server was patched for that last nasty virus.

The server group is going to open a ticket for me this afternoon with Microsoft. I'll post the MS response when the issue is resolved.

mbg

• I would definitely look into changing the password. It sounds like you may have a security issue.

• Just an FYI, MS does not believe this is an MS Access or SQL problem. They haven't determined the exact issue and are still working on it.

mbg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply