Access ADP vs. SSMS

• First of all, let me pre-flame myself to save everyone else the time:

- I'm stupid

- I don't know what I'm doing

- I'm going about this all wrong

🙂

Now, I'm just starting to use SQL Server Management Studio for the first time. In the past I've always used Access Data Projects as a front-end to my SQL Server databases.

I realize it's possible to "Edit [x] Rows" via SSMS, which allows me to enter data directly, like I'm used to doing in Access. But is there any way to enable dropdown/combo boxes in SSMS? Such as for when you have a FK that looks up data from another table? It's much easier from a stupid-user's perspective to select, let's say, "Bob Jones" from a list rather than enter his employee ID number, which I don't know offhand.

So, all discussion of natural keys vs. pseudokeys aside, does SSMS support dropdown/combo boxes? Or do I have to create my own web interface (or ADP) to do that?

Thanks!

"If I had been drinking out of that toilet, I might have been killed." -Ace Ventura

• SQL Server is a database engine not an application development tool, and SSMS is not meant to be a tool for application user access to data.

• Okay, back to ADP's for me then. Sorry to waste people's time.

"If I had been drinking out of that toilet, I might have been killed." -Ace Ventura

• SSMS doesn't do that.

You could still use Access for it, so far as I know.

Or you'll be building your own front end.

SSMS is really meant for DBA work, like managing databases and such, not so much for the kind of stuff Access is for.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Not a waste of time. Use what works best for you.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks. I am just feeling light years behind all you folks. Appreciate the quick feedback.

• You're welcome.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply