Access 2003 Front End / SQL 2005 Back End - Recommendations?

• We have our historical data in a bunch of Access databases, many of which are maxed out on the 2 gig limit.

So we have each year separated in a separate database - going back to 2003.  About 25 gigs total.

We have already migrated the data to SQL Server and now have the data in both places as we decide what to do next.

Currently only I have access to the SQL database and the other end users are all on the Access.  This is a look and print application.  No data entry.  Nightly uploads from the live data in a legacy Linux system.

All the end users (about 100) are running Access runtime. 

I am having a really hard time figuring out the licensing requirements and other details on exactly what has to be installed on each computer so that their Access runtime application can grab a couple of records off the SQL Server and get back a short report.

We do have some power users that need full SQL installation, but most of these end users are in the database for a second to grab one record (invoice history for example) while on the phone with a customer.

What do you think?  Should I convert them to SQL back end or keep parallel databases with klugy one database per year for several different databases. 

And what do I need on each work station to do this.  I already have the DSN less thing going and DSN File.  So I know how to do that. 

Hopefully this makes sense.

• put the data into SQL, back up db, back up the access files and keep the tapes or whatever somewhere safe

easier keeping the data in one location than keeping track of 20 files

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply