about sysdepends...

• Hi

I have to update some stored procs from a db to another... I created a script that first drops the stored porcs and then creates them again.

I'm getting, for some of them, a message warning that there were no lines added to sysdepends... I understand why the message is going out and what is its meaning... but... finally... is the sysdepends table complete or it will go on uncomplete... I mean, would I lose some information about dependencies or not?

Thanks for your answers, and excuse my poor english...

Nicolas

• SysDepends is notoriously unreliable. The message tells you exactly what happens : a line cannot be added because the proc is not created yet (even if it is being created). 2 things you can do, ignore it and don't use SysDepends to show dependencies between objects. Or Right after creation of the object, do an alter statement of the object with the same code and then the line will be inserted in SysDepends.

• Another thing to add to what Remi stated is to CREATE your objects in order i.e.  IF a VIEW depends on a TABLE to exist make sure that the CREATE TABLE comes 1st etc...

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Thanks you both...

Creation in order, is not impossible, but almost is... i'm not migrating a couple of stored procs... there are several hundreds stored and functions... not all of them changed, but we used to remove them all in test environment and replace with development environment ones. Same thing passing from test to production.

We don't use any automated software to migrate (bosses checked out some, but no one meets the requirements and developers work is cheap... :crying

again... THANKS!!!

• Try checking out SQL Compare.  This software can look at DEV v TEST v Staging v Production tell you the changes and allows you to review them back fill, promote, etc...

May be something to keep in mind and it takes care of sysdepends for you....

http://www.red-gate.com/index.htm around $200.00 per license is a CHEAP solution to a logistical nightmare

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply