Abolish Disjointed Time

• GeorgeCopeland - Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:05 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:01 AM

I'd actually prefer we all go to UTC and then learn to adjust the time we wake up.

Oh good grief, Steve.

LOL, I know, I know. It's a selfish wish for someone that constantly works and deals with people in other time zones. Plus I travel too much and get meetings set for wrong times because I book a 10am meeting while in another time zone. Then when I get home, I realize it's a 9, 11, or other strange time on my calendar.

Definitely a #firstworldannoynce  Not even a problem

• djackson 22568 - Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:11 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:56 AM

djackson 22568 - Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:55 AM

You are absolutely right, it is something that should be ended and quickly.
    One thing  you missed is businesses such as hospitals that are 24/7/365. It seems a lot of, maybe all, medical clinical charting systems were programmed by people who have no idea how to use universal time, and instead require their systems to be SHUT DOWN to compensate. Some are able to remain up, but require clinicians to jump through hoops in order to chart, and at least one requires adjustments to the times charted to allow the two hour period to be seen as only one hour.
    There really is no value to DST, and quite a few downsides.

Wow, never thought of this, Mr. Jackson. That's reason enough to abolish this. If anyone made a mistake because they got confused about medication times because of the change, I'd say we should just remove this now.

Given that there are supposed to be hundreds of thousands of deaths in the US each year due to errors, i have to agree. When attempting to improve a process, identifying potential causes of errors and eliminating them can go a long way. I don't know if any studies have attempted to determine what percentage are caused by issues like this, but as they say - "if it saves even one life"...  OK, I don't really buy that argument but I do agree with getting rid of DST. We have an idea of the cost from when it was changed to include a longer time period. Given the cost of changing back and forth each year, I think the ROI would be worth it.

I agree that 'saves one life' is used in too many areas.  I fight light pollution, but people always want it bright as daylight because ...  
    We are just destroying the ecological balance (as well as losing the beauty of the night sky) because some people can't use common sense and pay attention.  What about all the accidents that happen when it is bright and sunny????
    Enough of  my rant on this.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:15 AM

GeorgeCopeland - Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:05 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:01 AM

I'd actually prefer we all go to UTC and then learn to adjust the time we wake up.

Oh good grief, Steve.

LOL, I know, I know. It's a selfish wish for someone that constantly works and deals with people in other time zones. Plus I travel too much and get meetings set for wrong times because I book a 10am meeting while in another time zone. Then when I get home, I realize it's a 9, 11, or other strange time on my calendar.

Definitely a #firstworldannoynce  Not even a problem

You know, if the US Military can make it work doing everything on ZULU time, why couldn't the rest of us?

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:20 AM

You know, if the US Military can make it work doing everything on ZULU time, why couldn't the rest of us?

You know, if India can make it work having only one time zone, why couldn't the rest of us?

• It's interesting how many replies there have been to this topic! 

I am usually quite annoyed by the "Spring forward" time (this weekend :(), and I get excited about the extra hour of sleep in the Fall, but I never really thought about getting rid of it.  I had always heard of all the energy saved by it - but didn't really buy that.  Here is an interesting link about pros/cons (or "myths") - https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/daylight-saving-debate.html.  It appears there are people that the time switch severely affects ... and there is no energy savings! 😉

• Showing my age but in 1974 we actually had DST all year to alleiviate the energy crisis because of Arab oil embargo.
    I was a kid but I remember walking to school in the dark.
    It was a disaster which fortunately was never repeated.
    People would turn on their lights in the morning and often leave them them on all day.

• I am wary of moving away from having Daylight Savings Time.  With no DST here in Minnesota the sun would be rising at 4 am in the summer and setting at 8 pm in the evening.  With DST I get to go on long summer bike rides or hang out on the patio with friends, or do both in the evening.  If DST was gone but work was still 8 to 5 a lot of these opportunities would be gone and I would have to invest in some heavy duty shades. 

What probably will decide if DST will go away in the US is whether or not losing DST will upset the extra curricular activities of our kids.  If the kids can't get in their outdoor activities due to lack of sunlight there will be parental hell to pay!  When our school district tried to lengthen the school day so the total days in school could go down an uproar occurred because of how the new school time cuts into the extra curricular activities.

• I'd vote for getting rid of Daylight Savings Time.

• I was in the military and also did shift work, so time and place is just another thing you deal with.

But I have this neat idea how to fix the calendar with it's stupid variable days in a month... 😛

• chrisn-585491 - Thursday, March 8, 2018 11:00 AM

But I have this neat idea how to fix the calendar with it's stupid variable days in a month... 😛

For your neat idea to be adopted, it would have to be an order of magnitude improvement over what we have now. I suspect that such improvement is not possible.

• "I'd just prefer that we stick to a single time schedule the entire year."
    Amen to that 🙂

Regarding problems witth extracurricular activites, in case summer day is too short - the real problem is not DST. the real problem is working time, 9-5. I have worked in Euriope, long time ago,  and the work day was 7AM - 3PM. Being young, i hated it - it interferred with 'night life'. I looked forward to moving somewhere West, where they had a decent working hours 9 to 5. Eventually we moved to Canada. After a while, we realised that we have much less time for anything out of work. To me it looks like 9-5 is stealing two hours from us. Whan one works from 7 to 3, by 4 PM they are home, with plenty of time ahaed before dark. when you get home at 6 PM, the darkness comes quickly. No time to do any work around home, garden, hobby, shopping, nothing. So we have to wait for the weekend to do all those things, shopping in particular. Result: no time to see friends and family (children, parents, relatives, grandchildren).  It is not DST, it is working time that destroys us 
    🙂

• There are a lot of applications that have DST logic hard coded into them. It will be sort of like Y2K.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Ug... my hatred of DST knows few bounds, we're not medieval farmers whose schedules are driven by the hours of sunlight in the day.  I used to work for a company that did reporting by the hour and it was super fun explaining why they didn't have data for an hour once a year, they never noticed the hour with doubled up data.....

• Sometimes things in this world don't need to be about work or business.  I love when daylight savings kicks in.  It's nice to walk out of the office and into the sunshine with enough time to take the family to the beach, throw out a fishing line, or get a bit of stuff done around the house.  It's good for the soul and good for some work / life balance.

• John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:13 AM

funbi - Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:44 AM

One of the proposals is to keep DST permanently and abolish "normal" time. So you get the benefits of extra daylight but no more clock changes.

Yes, I've heard that proposed as well.  Note that you don't get any "extra" daylight, though: you get the same amount of daylight but at a slightly different time of day.

John

Depends on how you look at it.  We get extra daylight "after" work.  We just loose daylight before work to compensate.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply