Able to run queries from workstation via SSMS but not on Server itself (new SS 2014) install

• I just installed Sql Server 2014 on a server on which I may have limited admin privileges so that may be the reason I am seeing unusual behavior. I can run queries from SSMS on my pown workstation but if I try the same using SSMS on the server I get an error saying "Access to the path is denied (mscorlib)". The details of the error:

Access to the path is denied. (mscorlib)

------------------------------

Program Location:

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()

at System.IO.Path.InternalGetTempFileName(Boolean checkHost)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LaunchFormHost.CreateScriptWindow(String text, String scriptType, String dbName)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LaunchFormHost.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ILaunchFormHost3.ScriptToNewWindowAndExecute(String text, String scriptType)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.OpenTableHelperClass.SelectTopNRows(NodeContext parentContext, Int32 topNValue)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.SelectTopNRows.Invoke()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ToolsMenuItemBase.MenuInvokedHandler(Object sender, EventArgs args)

I googled and found some similar but not exact information that advised to hack the registry, showing what to do for 2005 and 2008.

I don't want to hack the registry until I know that's the right solution.

In case this matters: I have a lot of the data files on a shared drive that I don't have administrative rights to. Could that be the problem?

Thanks.

• pharmkittie (10/17/2014)

I can run queries from SSMS on my pown workstation but if I try the same using SSMS on the server I get an error saying "Access to the path is denied (mscorlib)".

May I ask why you want to run SSMS on the server itself?

Usually I don't even install the client tools on the server.

In case this matters: I have a lot of the data files on a shared drive that I don't have administrative rights to. Could that be the problem?

No. Out of curiousity, are the data file residing on a SMB share? It's an unusual setup and it may be a performance problem.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Because the "system admin" (related to the boss) doesn't have experience with SQL Server so thinks it's "just another app". She insists SSMS be installed on the server for her use. She installed old database that no one ended up using with all files on the C: drive. When I asked for separate drives and explained why, she gave me a shared drive. I've been here a year and getting security access to anything has been a nightmare taking, well, a year! I've had to do everything prior to this on my own server while I waited.

She is able to tell the rest of the staff here whatever she wants and they believe her because they are exceptionally non-technical, especially the owner and executive staff. She is the BOFH.

Well, you asked...

In any case, can anyone help me with this error?

• If you have any Admin privileges open SSMS with "Run as Administrator".

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Doh! I should have known better because a while back I had to run Internet Explorer as admin to view SSRS reports. It was easier for me to remember to change to admin when I was in a unix shop because the prompt was a subconscious reminder to

su -.

Thanks for your answer.

• OK, now that your SSMS works, take a minute to think about those data files on a SMB share.

If you're not expecting any performance from this database, it might also be ok, otherwise be aware that it's not going to serve data as fast as a local disk would.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply