A Welcome Delay

• I hate it when I hit the send button and the last thing I clearly see before it vanishes off the screen and into the cloud is the glaring typo I "proofed" 3 times before doing that!

I read somewhere that another way to proof is read what you wrote backwards. It prevents the brain from filling in the missing pieces or misspellings. It works but is a little hard to deal with when in a hurry.

As far as sending those terse responses off in any form (e-mail, fax, letter and even verbal), I have written, read and then deleted a few responses just because I knew it was wrong or would be construed as wrong even if I was right. Some people I deal with retain everything and it may end up in court against you even if it was not inflammatory but business related. Once you have been down that path facing a Judge and attorneys in court, you will probably never want to write anything else for a long time. I speak from near experience - it was settled a couple of hours before my testimony.

Just this week, I was dealing with a minor problem and I realized that the person I was dealing with might forward this on to someone else up the chain so I made sure that I was clear in my responses. That person did just that and I had nothing to worry about.

Ah, experience, the great teacher.

• thank goodness for the "save as draft" option in Lotus Notes....I use it frequently, then re-read my emotional emails the next day when I have calmed down....Often I don't send them, but I feel better for writing them.!!

• Bob Hoffman (11/30/2007)

....Some people I deal with retain everything and it may end up in court against you....

I swear to tell the truth, the half-truth and nothing like the truth, so help me, God.

😉

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• majorbloodnock (12/3/2007)

Bob Hoffman (11/30/2007)

....Some people I deal with retain everything and it may end up in court against you....

I swear to tell the truth, the half-truth and nothing like the truth, so help me, God.

😉

Nail-head, meet hammer! :hehe:

• Looks like they took down the letter, http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/ just gives me a "Not found" now. I wonder if Google cached it... 🙂

• dmbaker (11/2/2012)

Looks like they took down the letter, http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/ just gives me a "Not found" now. I wonder if Google cached it... 🙂

may or may not be an accurate copy:

http://technopaper.blogspot.com/2007/11/mandrivas-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer.html

• I can't tell you how many times I have deleted resignation letters out of the E-Mail Drafts folder when I had the time to think about it a little, but once you send it you can't take it back..:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• I always proofread and check my emails for tone before sending. If something is emotionally charged then I will either save it as a draft for a couple hours to a day or send it to a friend or colleague to get their opinion first. Like everyone I have sent a few bombs that caused more trouble than they were worth and I have been on the receiving end of more poorly formed emails than I would like to think about. The ability to proofread, edit and just get your thoughts out on the screen is why I always prefer email over phone calls. Plus it creates a pseudo paper trail in the event that you are responding to a touchy subject.

• I sometimes write an email and save it. Then write a second version and save it. The I write a third summarizing the content of the first two and save that one. Then I either call the person or write a last email that is really ready. It is hard to work the emotions out but if you can the out come is far more productive.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply