A Versioning system for SSRS

• I agree that with SharePoint 2010 Enterprise you do have the option of using it to do version control. Sadly, we don't have that in our environment and with our large user count, we are not likely to get it any time soon. Hence, my solution.

• I get this error after getting to the 906th line in the table ( dbo.catalog)

Is my Row number 906 of the table corrupt ?

--------------------

Msg 9412, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

XML parsing: line 2138, character 8, '>' expected

----------------------

• Hey mate!

Great idea, however I'm getting this fantastic error :

XML datatype instance has too many levels of nested nodes. Maximum allowed depth is 128 levels.

Can you help me ?

• You can restrict the [Catalog].[Type] to 2 and 8 (RDL and RSD) and that should hopefully cut out on the non-compliant XML.

• Brilliant.

It's just the safety net I was looking for.

Charley Jones
    A+, ITIL, MCAD, MCDBA, MCITP: Sql Server 2005 Adminstration, MCT,
    MCTS: Sql Server 2005, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MOUS, PMP
    President and Founder S3oLV.Com: Sql Server Society of Las Vegas
    President and Founder LVXUG.Com: Las Vegas XNA Users Group

• Great Article !

-- Rashid A. Khan

• No does not help. Also , I have tried to use the modified code posted by another user in this thread. Even with that , I get error like below:

Msg 9412, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

XML parsing: line 2138, character 8, '>' expected

This is driving me nuts.

• DavidKBennett (10/24/2012)

You can restrict the [Catalog].[Type] to 2 and 8 (RDL and RSD) and that should hopefully cut out on the non-compliant XML.

I'm still getting the same error 🙁

XML datatype instance has too many levels of nested nodes. Maximum allowed depth is 128 levels.

• Great article and imagination, about all I would suggest is toward the end of the trigger ...

FROM

WHERE Content IS NOT NULL

AND ( v.itemID IS NULL

OR v.modifiedDate != c.ModifiedDate

) )

TOWHERE Content IS NOT NULL

AND ( v.itemID IS NULL

OR v.modifiedDate < c.ModifiedDate

) )

this way it is just not equal in modified dates to the latest history version, but that you are not re-importing any past previous version.

----------------------------------------------------

• Nice article.

• Great solution for when Sharepoint isn't available! Thanks for posting!

• This seems to pin my CPU at 100% for about two minutes. I can replicate this every time I expand a path and then go to expand the modified date.

Any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this?

• This seems to pin my CPU at 100% for about two minutes. I can replicate this every time I expand a path in the report and then go to expand the modified date.

Any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this?

• Fantastic work, thank you. I have implemented this and it works flawlessly. I needed to tweak the XML slightly to get the versions report to work but no big deal and I think due to the version of SSRS I am using.

I just wish I had come across this before I broke a report I had spent hours and hours getting right!:blush:

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• Can the added tables exist in a separate database and using views of ths Report Server tables

provide the trigger capability to update the CVS tables?

This would provide for maintaining a pristine Report Server database.

Also, I would like to see the methodology for restoring a report to an earlier version.

Regards,

Dale Mayo

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply