A Third Break

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Third Break

• With sabbaticals is it unpaid leave?  For much of my career I would not have been in a position to take such an option.

• If I were you Steve I'd be looking at the Inca Trail for next year - if your knees are still up to it 😉

• My wife and I had a great experience on a Rhine-Danube cruise from Amsterdam all the way to eastern Europe ending with land travel to Ukraine and Romania where we visited some young employees of her company.  The cruise took us to many historical places, castles, museums, etc and  included local dining, shopping, sight seeing.  Each night on-board there were lectures by local folks on what we would do the next day.  But you need to carefully select the cruise to be sure it does what you want from the various options.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• For travel in the summer months, suggest Banff, Alberta and Jasper in the Rocky Mountains. Great place to unwind, relax, do some hiking\sight seeing and see all the beautiful lakes in the area.

• We loved the Colorado Rockies.  About 10 years before retirement bought a historic mining claim of 10 acres in the forests outside Pitkin, Co and built a log cabin at 10k elevation two miles off the nearest public road.  Spent many days 4-wheeling on forest service roads around the Continental Divide.

Rick

• David.Poole wrote:

With sabbaticals is it unpaid leave?  For much of my career I would not have been in a position to take such an option.

paid leave

• call.copse wrote:

If I were you Steve I'd be looking at the Inca Trail for next year - if your knees are still up to it 😉

It's more ankles, both for my wife and me. We are still thinking Machu Pichu at some point, maybe this year. We'll see.

• skeleton567 wrote:

My wife and I had a great experience on a Rhine-Danube cruise from Amsterdam all the way to eastern Europe ending with land travel to Ukraine and Romania where we visited some young employees of her company.  The cruise took us to many historical places, castles, museums, etc and  included local dining, shopping, sight seeing.  Each night on-board there were lectures by local folks on what we would do the next day.  But you need to carefully select the cruise to be sure it does what you want from the various options.

We've been looking at Alaska cruises, but something in Eastern EU would be nice. Never been there

• Mandeep Dulai wrote:

For travel in the summer months, suggest Banff, Alberta and Jasper in the Rocky Mountains. Great place to unwind, relax, do some hiking\sight seeing and see all the beautiful lakes in the area.

We took a trip to Yellowstone and Glacier a few years ago, like two weeks going up and back. It was amazing. Would like to get over to the Canadian side sometime as well. Thanks for the suggestion

• Steve, we did a cruise that left Seattle and landed in Alaska, then continued with a bus tour up along the pipeline route all the way north to the Arctic Circle where we walked across for a photo opportunity.  There were stops along the way in small remote towns where we could visit with locals.  We added a scenic flight way circling around the Denali Peak, and then did another bus tour across the southern coast.   This was another of those once-in-a-lifetime things we did when we were younger.  Also went to Virgin Islands for our honeymmon, twice to Hawaii (once as a bonus from my employer after a large IT project),  and a second trip to Germany with my long-time friend Don Doenitz who is a relative of Adolph Hitler's Admiral Karl Doenitz .

My advice to all of you for your travels:  Try to avoid the tourist traps sometimes and get out among the locals.  The local pubs are great for meeting folks, and there is usually someone who will 'adopt' you and translate for you.   The German breweries are great, and the fresh fish sandwiches in Alaska local restaurants are to die for.  And in Hawaii, be sure to try a Zombie.  Part way into my second one I was laughing so hard I was crying from the pain.

I always chuckle to recall a sign we saw along the pipeline route in Alaska which read:

Speed Limit 60 MPH Next 450 miles.

Rick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply