A Scary Comparison

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Scary Comparison

• I agree that the document you linked is a bit misleading, if not downright lacking in information. It lists partial support for reporting services in the standard version, but does does not appear to detail what is included in that partial support. Furthermore, in the section detailing the features of Analysis/Integration/Reporting services, it does not show anything as marked for availability in the standard version. However, the features listed do not appear to represent the services in their entirety, so it seems they have chosen to only list those features which will be available in the enterprise version, which again, is part of the apparent misinformation.

Hopefully they'll put out a revised document, or perhaps one already exists somewhere.

• Interestingly enough, they have the exact same type of document for 2005...

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/enterprise/comparison.mspx#E4B

You're right though. Both documents are VERY slanted to show Standard edition in a negative light, or so it seems. It would do better if they called it "Here's what Enterprise has, that Standard does not have".

I prefer the "feature matrix" document. It gives a much more accurate picture:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx

Of course, right now, there is no feature matrix for 2008 that I can find....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• To not include Analysis Services in the Standard version, is for MS to lose their case.

We have heavily used analysis services and their cubes in Excel. If it becomes unavailable in the version we can afford...then there are the two other top OLAP companies out there.

Or we quit AS and use simple 'dashboards'. So I hope AS will always be part of the Standard version at least.

• You have mis-read a bit - I had some of these same concerns not long ago.

They have not included Analysis Services in their Data Warehousing bullet - it is in the Business Intelligence bullet. If you look at page 3, you will see that AS backup and cube design are available in the Standard Edition.

Reporting Services is also available in the Standard Edition. On page 4, this document indicates that Office integration, Forms authentication, and the Report Builder features are available in the Standard Edition while Data Driven subscriptions are not.

The feature sets available in the Standard Edition vs. Enterprise Edition are nearly identical to the 2005 feature sets. In fact, if it was available in the Standard Edition in SQL 2005, it will be upgradable to the Standard Edition in SQL 2008 (per what I will call an unnamed source at MS). They have no intentions of forcing an edition upgrade because of a version upgrade - even the wonderful people at Microsoft understand that would severely impact the number of customers that upgrade from 2005 to 2008 and with their current backward compliant licensing model (if you buy SQL 2005, you can install and use SQL 2000) it would simply drive people to install an older version of their product.

• From what I've heard, the same features in 2005 Standard will be there in 2008 standard. The document, however, is misleading.

• As long as there ar eno features in 2005 standard that are removed from 2008 standard I am fine with it, but as soon as they start removing features I currently use, then I will have a problem.

• Jack -

I'm hoping you're not including SSNS in the list? 'cause Notification services is going the way of the Dodo bird.... And that's not just from Standard either. It's outta here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• My (limited) understanding was that the NS functionality was going to be moved into Reporting services. Whether that functionality changes or requires a different edition I couldn't say.

• Wasn't 2005 Standard 2 sockets and not X number of CPUs. By the time we move to SQL 2008 we will likely be using 2 4 core processors. Maybe they just used bad wording and 4 sockets was intended?

Also doesn't 2005 Standard allow indexed views? The chart flat out shows not in 2008 Standard. Seems like that would break the upgrade path for same version. Either they will have lots of upset people or left hand isn't communicating with right hand and this document has incorrect data!

• Not only does IT marketing float trial balloons to see what the reaction is but they will also test the water face to face with some customers to gage the reaction to higher cost for same of slightly improved technology.

This is probably a test to see who is watching and what the reaction will be. It is hard to believe that any IT marketing team would think that paying more to get less is a good deal for their customers.

But what IT company does not do this?

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Seems to me that it would be less damaging if they would just raise the prices of both and be done with it. Maybe that's why I'm not in marketing 😉

• Matt Miller (4/2/2008)

Jack -

I'm hoping you're not including SSNS in the list? 'cause Notification services is going the way of the Dodo bird.... And that's not just from Standard either. It's outta here.

No I was not including SSNS in my list as I knew it was gone. I actually looked into that about 4 years ago in SQL 2000 and thought it was awfully big and unwieldy. A current 2005 project I am working on I was going to re-investigate it until I found out about its removel in 2008. Hopefully they will extend the functionallity of SSRS to make it possible to have user subscribed notifications. Although data-driven subscriptions are limited to Enterprise, which I can't justify.

• The problem with floating trial balloons to gauge interest is you're never sure who sees them. I happened to have someone point this out to me, or I'd never have seen it. If this is how they make decisions, no wonder they upset so many people.

It's like assuming that SP3 isn't needed because not enough people actively asked for it. Most of us are just expecting it.

• matt stockham (4/2/2008)

My (limited) understanding was that the NS functionality was going to be moved into Reporting services. Whether that functionality changes or requires a different edition I couldn't say.

The wording I saw was "SOME of the SSNS functionality MAY be integrated..." which would tend to say it's not going to be an exact match. Something isn't going to make the cut.

I guess we get to wait and see....

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply