A Refreshing Break

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Refreshing Break

• Maybe this is very individual as well as different per country. I have never in my whole life read emails while on vacation.

If there is something important, people gives me a call. It is very relaxing not to give a thought about work, all thou thoughts wanders over there anyway sometimes.

The times I have been phoned, I immediately start to load work into memory and process it. Sometimes this has not interrupted my feeling of vacation but sometimes it has. But I dont think anything can be done about that, if there is something important and I am the one that gets the phone call, one has to take responsibilities. This also makes it possible to let people with sertain skills to have vacation simultaneously which would probably have been impossible otherwise.

• Whether work slows down over Christmas depends on the industry you're in. In the temporary worker recruitment industry this is the busiest time of the year, due to all the extra workers needed to support all the Christmas shopping currently going on! Made even worse this year by the introduction of the AWR regulations for temp workers...

Anyway, I actually prefer to prune my e-mails while I'm away so I have fewer to go through on my return to work...it just stresses me out if I arrive at work first thing to a sea of unread mails!

• Blackberry got its nickname of Crackberry for a reason. Constantly responding to messages people send you is just as much an addiction as crack itself.

It is important to know how to live a normal life without the habit, or it just becomes harder to cope when the stream of messages slows down.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Not sure I need any ideas on this one. I ensure I am not even able to check work emails during time off. Not once have I ever done so - or thought about it. I have answered the odd call but for UK culture time off is pretty sacrosanct in my experience.

• Steve - Where did you go riding? I'm taking my family to Breck in a couple of months (first time snowboarding in CO), any tips you can pass along?

Thanks!

• If you're going on vacation, definitely taking a full break from work is needed. Otherwise, you miss the most important point of vacation in the first place.

I'm on-call 24X7 on my current job. But I don't check routine e-mails when I'm at home or on vacation. I have a separate e-mail account just for emergencies. Goes to my smartphone and tablet, and makes all kinds of noise (and buzzes) when anything comes in on that. I've had 2 such e-mails so far this year, not counting my weekly test e-mail. Those I check immediately, even in the middle of the night. Everything else can wait, or someone can call me.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• If I lived in Colorado, I would want to be on vacation all the time. Each time I have visited the Rockies, it has been work related, and that makes it hard to really enjoy the landscape out there. Nothing ruins a vacation like the employer calling early in your trip with an issue that you will almost certainly have in the back of you mind for the rest of your time off. Personally, I do not go anywhere near my laptop while on vacation. Not getting the phone calls from work would be nice, but if your employer is not going to respect your time off, there isn't much you can do. I think that the best boss is the one that puts the same level of importance on your "Me Time" as you do.

• Good advice Steve. Too often I've found myself so caught up in work related and other issues to the detriment of being able to more fully appreciate and enjoy the season and time with family and friends.

I plan to keep this in mind this year. Thanks, and all the best to you during this holiday season!:-)

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Grumpy DBA (11/30/2011)

Steve - Where did you go riding? I'm taking my family to Breck in a couple of months (first time snowboarding in CO), any tips you can pass along?

Thanks!

Winter Park this year for vacation and Arapaho Basin a few weeks ago for a day.

My wife loves Steamboat, which is a touch far, but great snow. Breck is really nice, and lots of boarders there. Keystone is 8-10mi from Breck, and nice runs there. You can share a pass (if you pick that one) between Breck/Key/Vail (30-40 min NW of Breck).

You'll enjoy it. Breck is nice, and easy to get out of town and up the mountain or back down. Some good restaurants in Frisco, not far away either.

• Amazing how people manage to figure things out on their own when you aren't there, isn't it? Sometimes it is better to consult the expert, but often times going for help is a sign of a lack of confidence.

We're working toward having at least two people be familiar with every system. We're not a startup company, nor are we under excessive budget pressures, so I don't see why we shouldn't be there already

• IceDread (11/30/2011)

Maybe this is very individual as well as different per country. I have never in my whole life read emails while on vacation.

Me either, until I got a phone that allowed them. Now I get personal and work emails on the device. I have typically pruned work back while checking personal emails, but this time I didn't.

• I'd love a real vacation. The last time that happened was 8 years ago when I went out of the country.

I seem unable to avoid checking email and data on time off. In fact, I've checked email and responded while in the hospital. Ridiculous? Yes. Need my salary and need my insurance? Un-huh. That need doesn't get any days off.

• paul.knibbs (11/30/2011)

Anyway, I actually prefer to prune my e-mails while I'm away so I have fewer to go through on my return to work...it just stresses me out if I arrive at work first thing to a sea of unread mails!

I used to be like this. Try not pruning and expecting a lot when you get back. It's not as stressful if you know what's coming and just expect to take a day or two to deal with it.

Plus a number of them will have been handled by the time you return.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/30/2011)

paul.knibbs (11/30/2011)

I used to be like this. Try not pruning and expecting a lot when you get back. It's not as stressful if you know what's coming and just expect to take a day or two to deal with it.

Plus a number of them will have been handled by the time you return.

I think I worded it badly. I don't actually "handle" any e-mails, I just like to go through and delete the ones which I *know* someone else will have handled so I don't have to wade through them to get to the important ones on my return!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply