A Nice Refund

• A Nice Refund

How'd you like to be the DBA for a system that mistakenly gives out $318 million? It probably wasn't the database, but more likely the code for some application that caused this to occur in the IRS system, but it's something that becomes more likely in SQL Server all the time.

SQL Server 2005 is the first time that SQL Server can be easily used as a complete application development platform. With the addition of the CLR, the Service Broker, Database Mail, web services, and more, SQL Server 2005 could be your database server, application server, and only server, with no other software running.

While application developers will likely write most of the code, including lots of the CLR functions, procedures, and other constructs, who do you think will be responsible for the system?

That's right, the DBA. You'll be the first and last line of defense and the one that will likely shoulder a lot of the blame for issues. Fair or not, I expect that DBAs will become more likely the scapegoats for issues.

This means that as a DBA, you really want to beef up your skills as well as clearly delineate lines of responsibility. You should be able to read the code behind assemblies you add to your server, as well as understand how the SQL Server subsystems fit into an application. But you also need to be sure that you let management know when you are overloaded, when you can't review code, or when you are concerned about possible issues with code.

I've felt for years that it was a matter of time before some computer professionals start becoming bonded because of their responsibilities. I'm not sure when or where this will start happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it starts with DBAs.

Steve Jones

• What do you mean by "bonded"?

As for the error which is the subject of the editorial, my guess based on past experience is that there was too much expected with too little and testing went out the window. Whether that is what really happened I don't know, but that is the usual suspect!

• I have to wonder if DBA salaries would start going up due to the breadth of knowledge we will start developing. My guess is that any DBA who gets good enough at .NET/CLR won't stay a DBA for long and will move into development. I know the line is being blurred between DBA and developer but I just don't believe most companies see "DBA" as someone who should be doing code reviews. Perhaps this will change as SQL2005 gets more popular.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

• Ok, maybe I misread the article but it doesn't say anythng about a mistake in a database or a program. It says that a new program was being developed to replace an old one but that it wasn't ready in time so the IRS tried to use the old system which could not be prepped for 2005 returns in time. So, they didn't use any program and were not able to catch as many fradulent returns as last year when they used the old software.

How can a DBA be blamed for this? Or a developer for that matter? Seems like typical government bureaucracy to me.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

• I did not even have to finish the artical in the paper to know the contractor respinsable for the code. It is the same contractor that failed to fulfill their contract with the FBI for a new computer system and software. If it wasn't for political connections, I don't believe these guys could stay in business because they can't compete in the private sector and rely on gov contracts.

• Note: Shameless plug to follow: If you want to get a better insight into SQL CLR, come to my SQL PASS presentation, "SQL CLR for the DBA and Database Designer" in November in Seattle. In fact, even if you don't come to my presentation, come to SQL PASS in November in Seattle. It is a great conference.

Chuck Hawkins

• They're crying over $300 million?  Doesn't Congress waste more than that before lunch on a slow day?

If a DBA was involved, we need to organize having a statue erected in his honor.

• Did they outsource the applications to some Indian/whatever country company? 

I found out one thing, my old company outsourced the system to an Indian company. They did not do a good job, everything failed.  Who got the blame?  The develpers and the DBAs in US got the blame and they cut those people while the Indian developers kept doing the job.

• At least at the company I'm working at, Sarb-Ox already is forcing my company to delineate those divisions of responsibility and such already.

• Reverse to our justice system, a database person is supposed to be "guilty first", then has to approve he/she is "innocent"...

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply