A Live Node

• One of the joys of sailing is that you can happily leave the phone locked in the car on the basis that it would get wet and you couldn't use it whilst controlling a small boat.

Anyway there's no signal at my local lake and likewise at many other country lakes and reservoirs where we sail and even often along the coast reception is poor.

It can be a nuisance though when you actually want to make a call - leaning out on the end of the jetty to get coverage is possible but precarious......

• Actually the statistical backing is somewhat vague. Research shows some common activities much more often associated with accidents including eating, and dealing with children. However phones are a politically convenient scapegoat.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• >> Oh those poor sheep…. <<

I hope you're not accusing me of being Welsh!

>> Actually the statistical backing is somewhat vague. Research shows some common activities much more often associated with accidents including eating, and dealing with children. However phones are a politically convenient scapegoat. <<

It is indeed vague.  However these things are quite difficult to study.  There are so many variables.

At the end of the day only one of three things cause a collision: lapse in concentration or judgement, travelling too fast to react (above or below the speed limit), or in rare occasions something completely out of the control of the driver.  Answering a call can increase the chances of a lapse in concentration.

Slightly more on topic, thankfully I don't make many long journeys in my current job and so have never felt the need to take a call whilst driving in the past couple of years.  There are, of course, many who just won't miss a single call.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply