A great site like this - but for ORACLE.

• Jeff Moden (6/22/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2009)

You could also give sswug.org a try, if you want to pay for membership. They seem to try and cover everything, not just MS SQL Server. They have forums and articles for Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc.

I agree, a site like SSC for Oracle would be a worthwhile endeavor for the people with the right experience and desire. Could be called OracleCentral.

I had a 7 day trial period there... if their Oracle forum answers and articles are as bad as the SQL Server forum answers and articles I saw, they should pay you for being a member.

Actually, they are at the moment. Having published two articles there I currently have a free membership (which I think will end soon). Although they pay better than SSC, the two articles published there aren't getting the exposure there that they may have had here. The first has had maybe 610 views in close to 30 days, and the other about 383 views in 25 days. Can't submit them here until after 120 days from the time I submitted them to sswug.org. Can't wait for that time frame to pass, as I think they are pretty good articles and will get more attention here.

• Jeff Moden (6/22/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2009)

You could also give sswug.org a try, if you want to pay for membership. They seem to try and cover everything, not just MS SQL Server. They have forums and articles for Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc.

I agree, a site like SSC for Oracle would be a worthwhile endeavour for the people with the right experience and desire. Could be called OracleCentral.

I had a 7 day trial period there... if their Oracle forum answers and articles are as bad as the SQL Server forum answers and articles I saw, they should pay you for being a member.

They were around the same time with Revealnet the site that Quest bought and closed and I was not impressed so I never recommend them for any vendor, I think they are money hungry.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• We have been debating about starting a sister site here for Oracle. Good to know there's a call for it.

• Paul White (6/22/2009)

Why not try: http://www.dbasupport.com/

All right, now stop that!

😛

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (6/23/2009)

Paul White (6/22/2009)

Why not try: http://www.dbasupport.com/

All right, now stop that!

😛

It means I have answered the thread the first day.

:hehe:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Please, PLEASE, please pursuade Redgate to launch an Oracle version of this site - oh and Oracle tools as well. Did I say please?:-)

Thanks.

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
  • While we are on Oracle, let's try and solve this.

I was amazed by how easy it was to link SQL Server to Oracle.

But I'm totally flabbergasted by how hard it is to go the other way around.

And believe me I have searched this on the Internet.

The scenario is simple. I have Windows XP with SQL Server 2005 and Oracle 10 installed. Everybody talks about modifying tnsnames.ora and listener.ora followed by CREATE DBLINK etc. But when it come to actually getting to a SQL Server instance (even, say, with ODBC) via entries in these Oracle configuration files, there is total silence or confusion.

Does anyone have a real live example for the above simple scenario?

Thanks.

• I don't know, but I'll ping a few people tomorrow.

• See MetaLink support note 466267.1 How to Setup DG4MSQL (Database Gateway for MS SQL Server) on Windows 32bit - it's for 11g. I believe that there is a license charge if you are using it in production. 😉

HTH.

• may be there are so many oracle DBA's on this site.

may they guide us to create same site for Oracle.

• There is also a charge to sign up to MetaLink via an Oracle support identifier. This is starting to get expensive.

I'm now browsing through the Oracle documentation and, for ODBC, there is talk of yet another configuration file you need, copying it from OracleHome\hs\admin\inithsodbc.ora. A similar file exists for OLEDB called inithsoledb.ora.

Thus you need to copy inithsodbc.ora to initKK.ora in the same directory. The file essensially contains the line

HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = MYSYSTEMODBC

identifying a Windows system ODBC entry pointing to a SQL Server database.

In the name initKK.ora, KK becomes meaningful and is used somehow in a tnsnames.ora entry which you also must name, say MYSQLSERVER. Once I figure out this tnsnames.ora syntax then it should become easy in SQL*PLUSW to write:

create database link LINK1 connect to username identified by password using MYSQLSERVER;

select count(*) from sometable@LINK1;

But I'm not there yet!

Isn't this fun!

• Michael Meierruth (7/7/2009)

There is also a charge to sign up to MetaLink via an Oracle support identifier. This is starting to get expensive.

:pinch: If you have a licensed Oracle deployment then you have Oracle support then you have access to Metalink. Oracle support is not optional.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Wow, got it to work!

It's pretty much based on what I wrote.

Had the wrong port in the tnsnames.ora file.

And as usual, when something works, the simplicity of it all stares at you in disbelief...

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply