A derived column question

• as part of a data extract I would like to generate a unique key based upon the date and a job number, in the format YYYY-MM-DD-JobNo.

In a derived column I do the following:

(DT_STR,4,1252)YEAR(entry_dt) + "-" + (DT_STR,2,1252)MONTH(entry_dt) + "-" + (DT_STR,2,1252)DAY(entry_dt) + "-" + (DT_STR,4,1252)job_no

This works, but the day and month if ommit the leading zeros. So rather than getting, 2008-09-09, I get 2008-9-9.

I tried using the cast DT_U1, but got the same result and also, I can't then concatenate the values, presumably because it thinks I trying to add two values together?

Any suggestion on how to fix this:

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• (DT_STR,4,1252)YEAR(entry_dt) + "-" + RIGHT('00' + (DT_STR,2,1252)MONTH(entry_dt),2) + "-" + RIGHT('00' + (DT_STR,2,1252)DAY(entry_dt),2) + "-" + (DT_STR,4,1252)job_no

• comes up in red, when I input it into the expression window

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• this last method is a good one but just to not forget to use double quote and not single quote in your expression

RIGH("00"...

• Sorry, I did not test it.

Yes, I think it is the single quote issue.

Basically concatenate two zeros (as a string) to your number and then take the right 2 characters.

• thanks - the single quotes were the issue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply