A Cloudy Week - Database Weekly (Mar 2, 2009)

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Cloudy Week - Database Weekly (Mar 2, 2009)

• On the subject of terrabyte flash drives:

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/technology/news/article.php/3795956

Looks like it'll be a lot less than a decade.

On the subject of cloud databases, I think it's a cool idea, but I just can't wrap my head around how to put one to use. They're too clunky for OLAP, and too much latency for most OLTP.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Are they? Salesforce.com is essentially a cloud service. That much different from an app? You wouldn't have to send all the images, formatting, etc. down, just the data. The XBOX does well and that's a local app, data moving to/from the cloud.

• I guess the stuff I've thought of on it just doesn't add up that way.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I think you have to reassess how you look at things, do lots of testing, and possibly revisit your architectures. I think this can work. Not that it should, but it works.

• I was just at the AZURE forums SQL Server was relegated to the crappy very limited version of AZURE called SDS so if Amazon competition makes Microsoft to create full featured SQL Server cloud I would like to take a look. The reason relational algebra challenged object impaired sycophants are the aggressive enthusiasts who needs architecture that enables file system data dumping. There is no new information at the AZURE SQL site so the new information maybe at MIX09.

So the devil is in implementation details because there are threads about 2gig limit that is not enough for all but toy users. It is the same or similar users that merrily cheered LINQ to SQL to life support.

http://www.microsoft.com/azure/sql.mspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• "Especially in this poor economic climate, I still feel that most companies won't want to make the investment in time or resources that they really need to build a great BI system."

I understand exactly what Steve is saying here and I agree there are many companies who will think this way. But in a sad kind of way it's sort of a funny way of looking at things. It's a lot like saying "When it is most important to be making the best decisions (an economic climate that may threaten our survival) - we are not going to focus on systems (BI) that let us do exactly that."

Looking at it the other way around, and many companies are, is why Gartner, IDC, and Forrester are saying BI spending may very well see an increase this year, even while they are continuing to revise their other IT spending forecasts downward.

• and like those investing now, if you invest in BI now you'll likely be much better positioned to take advantage of things when the economy recovers!

• Love the US clouding computing competition keeps them honest, the easy to use none scalable SQL Server service depreciated.

Hmm forgot to thank Steve for posting this fresh off the press.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd557595.aspx

:Whistling:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply