70-462 - practicing administrative tasks on my home PC

• Hi

I currently work on 2008, 2012 and 2014 as a developer
    At home, I actually have an instance of 2016 installed rather than 2012 (just because dev 2016 is free!)

Basically, I want to practice some of the admin stiff required by 462 at home rather than work

Can tasks like clustering, mirroring and always-on be performed on a single, home PC with windows 10?
    I know the simple answer is try installing multiple instances and see (after all part of this certification involves installing)

Just wonder if there's anything I need to be aware of

Thanks

- Damian

• Try with multiple VMs. I don't think you can cluster two instances on teh same machine, but you can cluster instances in two VMs

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • So create 2 VMs and install a SQL 2016 to each VM.
    I'll give it a go
    Thanks

- Damian

• You might need more than 2. You need some form of shared storage and a domain controller.

There are definitely blog posts on setting up this kind of lab, so search around, see what you can find.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ...except you can do domainless clusters in Windows 2016...  https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/clustering/2015/08/17/workgroup-and-multi-domain-clusters-in-windows-server-2016/

I know.  Just because you *can* do something, doesn't mean you *should*...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply