70-431 Question from Lesson 2,Chapter 2 [Microsoft Kit]

• Hi Guys,

Im currently half way preparing for my 70-431.While doing a review of the question.The below, I was rather uncertain of the answer.Hope fully someone could shed some light.

Question

Which of the following sentences is true for authentication mechanism when the SMTP server is being accessed?

a) Using Database Engine service Acc

b) Using SQL Server Agent services Acc

The answer given by the Kit is a)

I have not included answer c) & d) , as it is totally wrong

Im confused, because while reading on this Lesson, page [63].The default mechanism mentioned is SQL Server Service Account .

Does this refer to both Agent & Engine ?

I checked on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920926/en-us but did not find anything.

I just need the correct answer and explanation.

Thank You !

[font="TimesNewRoman"] “I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work”........Thomas Alva Edison[/font]

• I'm not sure that I quite understand your question, but ...

the SQL Server service account is the database engine service account. Each distinct SQL service can (but doesn't have to) run under a different account, and general best practice dictates that the agent account is different to the SQL Server account.

You can see all the services in the configuration manager.

• Hi,

I'm also studying for the same exam and using the MS Kit.

Throughout the book the two terms often refer to the same thing.

Database Engine service acc is the same as the SQL Server service acc.

Its just the terminology is a little comfusing.

Cheers

Good Luck

• Lookup_BI,

The "correct answer and explanation" for the exam topics is ultimately referenced in the BOL. I *believe* this topic may have your answer:

SQL Server 2005 Books Online (September 2007)

Database Mail

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175887.aspx

or

SQL Server 2005 Books Online

Database Mail

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/14cbf88f-d9d1-41a5-994e-532e2973ac9e.htm

... IF that is not the correct topic, let me know which page the question is in the book, I have the 70-431 book at my desk. I will be more than happy to help you run down the correct topic in BOL, I know how much it bugs me to have that little detail stuck in my head without a definitive answer.

"Key"
    MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP

• Thank You all,....I tought it was the same account as well....

SSH: How's the preparation going ?..

I'm juggling between work and study......

It's been 1 month ..and I have only covered till Chapters 7 .....

Guys ..need some advice here ..I'm weak in Stored Procedures .....I can write simple SQL Query but not complex once...The term parameter,function,trigger ...just makes my heart skip a beat.But, I'm very determined to learn this.Anyone has good advise on learning Stored Procedures as well as Tuning.

Do give suggestions, strategies and Tips

[font="TimesNewRoman"] “I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work”........Thomas Alva Edison[/font]

• Lookup_BI,

The 70-431 exam covers a TON of content. It is not an easy exam by any means. Keep on studying! (The 70-431 exam is the beginning of the Certification tracks for SQL DBA and SQL Developer.)

For Stored Procedure knowledge, I would suggest a book that you can get some hands on experience with.

Beginning SQL Server 2005 Programming (Programmer to Programmer)

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Server-2005-Programming-Programmer/dp/0764584332/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204837248&sr=8-7

For in depth coverage look into:

Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Programming (Pro-Developer)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-9720857-5208830?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=inside+SQL+Server+2005+T-SQL+Programming

On the tuning issue, go for the same approach. The catch here is that you really need a "live" database to investigate (ie: tune) for to really get confidence.

Unfortunately I have not come across any "beginner" tuning books for SQL Server 2005. You may want use Amazon's "Search Inside" the book:

Beginning SQL Server 2005 Administration

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-SQL-Server-2005-Administration/dp/0470047046/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204840487&sr=8-6

... to see if you think it covers the tuning topics you want to get started with then jump to:

Professional SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning (Programmer to Programmer)

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Server-Performance-Tuning-Programmer/dp/0470176393/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204840487&sr=8-1

... and as the in depth:

Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2005: Query Tuning and Optimization

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Microsoft%C2%AE-SQL-Server-2005/dp/0735621969/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204840487&sr=8-2

Also keep in mind that T-SQL Programming and SQL Server Performance Tuning are very deep topics. Some people have careers based on just one of the topics alone.

As a little bonus suggestion, if you have the money to spend, I would highly recommend purchasing the Transcender training exams for the 70-431 (and 70-443 and 70-444 if you are going the MCITP: DBA route). They are quite accurate as to the style and complexity of the actual exam, without crossing that "line" of giving actual exam questions/answers.

Best of Luck, and keep us posted on your certification progress!

"Key"

• Lookup_BI :

Been studying for around 2 1/2 months in between work (Non IT related).

Been through the whole book once and am gaining further knowledge by sitting the transcender test exams and trying to gain a deeper understanding. Currently hitting 50% and have the real exam scheduled for thursday (13/03).

Just want to sit it and see what happens as i feel its dragging on a little.

My stored procedure knowledge is not that great although i had a few years of software dev a few years ago.

Finding Chaps 2 (security too basic),

Chps 8 (xml difficult),

Anyone know any good documentation for a beginner/inter to learn about sql security. Logins/Auth modes etc

• Damon:Thank You , Im already planning to purchase at least 1 book to start up with.

SSH: All the Best for the exam .

Do let me know how it goes 😀

Guys : A general question.

What are the other technologies that I are important for me to learn,being a SQL DBA/Dev, example [ASP.net,ADO,VB Script,C#.......].....to be able to dive into the job market.

• Lookup_BI,

That is a "it depends" kinda answer. Depending on the company you are either working for or are looking to join may or may not have distinct roles within the organization. For the most part larger companies want a pure SQL Developer in one "seat", and a SQL DBA occupying the cube/space/cot next to the SQL Developer. Smaller shops only have a budget for one SQL person so you end up as the hybrid SQL DBA/DEV.

My personal advice is to work within the DBA realm first until you are comfortable (read: Pass the 70-431, 70-443, and 70-444 exams). Then branch out into the SQL Development arena.

Hope this helps,

"Key"

• Hi,

BOL is a very good reference point, so please use it!

Most importantly, make sure you understand NOT remember the content and test everything you learn, as real world type questions will be presented and remembering will not help you pass. Also, don't rush and make sure you spend time on XML type issues.

Good Luck,

Phillip Cox

MCITP - DBAdmin

• SSH,

Best of luck on the exam! Remember to pace yourself. I raced through the 70-444 and ended up with a non-passing score. I took it about a week later and passed with flying colors.

"Key"

• Thanks Damon,

Hopefully I will pass as I'm confident with around 3/4 of the books(70-431) subject matter and still have two solid days left to study.

I sat the old sql 2000 design exam (70-229) and passed with alot less study but this one (going by the transcender pack) seems as though it demands a much deeper and thorough understanding.

Cheers all

SSH

• Hi All,

I sat my exam yesterday and passed!!!!!

😀

The exam content consisted of 35 questions and 12 simulation models (where i think i picked up some good marks).

The subjects covered where quite favourable for me as there was very little on the XML stuff (one of my not so strong areas).

Now moving onto 70-443, which should be interesting.

Thanks

SSH

MCTS

• SSH,

Congratulations on passing!

The 70-443 exam has a different format, which is the 6 "testlets", consisting of between 7 and 13 questions per testlet, with a separate timer for each testlet.

Enjoy your newly earned title of MCTS!

Happy T-SQLing,

"Key"

• SSH (3/10/2008)

Thanks Damon,

Hopefully I will pass as I'm confident with around 3/4 of the books(70-431) subject matter and still have two solid days left to study.

I sat the old sql 2000 design exam (70-229) and passed with alot less study but this one (going by the transcender pack) seems as though it demands a much deeper and thorough understanding.

Cheers all

SSH

I am planning on also taking the 70-431 exam. I was wondering what exact study guides did you use from the transcender prep materials? Was it just the Practice Exam...study guide..? Also I see they have a virtual lab for $200...a decent amount of money..is that even worth it?

http://www.transcender.com/product.aspx?product_id=Cert-70-431

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply