64KB Allocation Size

• Hi all

Building some new SQL 2016 servers with SAN attached disks. Traditionally I have always followed the best practise 64kb disk allocation when formatting.

Before I initialise these disks, is this still considered best practise. All articles I can find are dated around 10 years ago. I know it was still applicable for SAN attached disks then but technology has moved on so much since, both hardware and software wise.

Do people still follow this, or simply use Windows default?

thanks in advance.

• This raw tin on raw disk or you using VM's with a mounted data store etc.

Reason I ask is that in one shop the disk presented to Hyper-V was formatted at 4K block, which we then formatted the disk which was presented to the VM as 64K block and all hell broke loose with the server, so we reformatted SQL back to 4K and everything was good.

Now Microsoft's practise is to format Hyper-V to be 64k the MSP who did it build out, obviously didn't follow recommendations.

As long as your disk allocation units align throughout the process you will be fine, but yes it's still deemed best to format SQL to 64K where you can.

• Thanks for the reply, raw tin on raw SAN disk

Interesting point on the VM servers, what went wrong? We have some VMs formatted at 64k at a Windows layer but I am not 100% sure they formatted at the Hyper-V layer.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply