64 or 32

• How to determine of a given SQl server client tools installation is 32 or 64 bit?

thanks a lot, mj

• select

@@version;

• I don't have a copy here to check but I think it says 64-bit in the Help About screen of QA and EM (About Enterprise Manager in MMC).

• There is no 64bits Enterprise Manager for 2000 but you can register it to a 32bit version and use the Enterprise Manager.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• This is a Sql server 2005 client only installation on win 2003 server Sp2 64 b machine. I have only SQLCMD visible - nothing else (like Surface area, Conf Manager, etc). I need to know what version are the client tools installed so I could make the appropriate install of a 3rd party software that uses them.

Thanks a lot, mj

• If I understand you correctly you install 64bits client tools because the version of client depends on what version of operating system is running in the box you are installing it to and not what it is connecting to.  I develop 32bits Asp.net software against oracle 9i/10 64bits but my client tools are 32bits because my operating system is 32bits all I have to do is compile my code with any cpu instead of 32bits.  Yes it is the same with SQL Server.  One more thing you cannot install 64bits in a 32bits OS.  Post again if you still have questions.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Im sorry I did not post the info correctly - there is an existing SQl server 2005 client tools installation done not by me and there's no docs on what version has been installed. I could find only SQLCMD - no other SQl server 2005 tools are visible from the start menu.

As the machine is 64b I would assume that the SQl server installation is 64b but when I try to install a tird party software product, thier installer is complaining of the 32b SQl server tools. But this product is very buggy and I do not trust their installer information. I guess I need to uninstall and reinstall the Sql server tools so I'll be sure what I have.

Thanks a lot, mj

• In that case download the 64bits client tools rerun setup and remove the existing version so you can install 64bits client tools.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply