64 bit processor

• can anyone give me a few pointers on the general rule of thumb for the performance difference of running 32 bit sql server on a 64 bit chip vs running 32 bit sql server on a 32 bit chip

thx

rob

• Form what I have read it depends on the BRAND.  If you are running AMD Opteron then you should not experience any speed difference either way.  INTEL has a performance degradation currently with the Itanium due to the way it handles the 32 bit transactions.  I think I read somewhere that INTEL is working on correcting the problem and in the near future (possibly out now) you woun't notice performance differences for either brand negative OR postiive.

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• thx for the reply aj.   we are looking at the nocona 3.4ghz

• If you are looking for a multi processor server and high performance then you should not dismiss AMD Opteron.

Intel's implementation of 64 bit in it's XEON/P4 line can not be compared with AMD's as the design has some flaws when it come to accessing memory. So they should lack in performance when it comes to 64 bit compared to AMD; how much is still to be proven.

And Besides if you go and buy the Xeon MPs that have a massive 4MB L3 cache, most of that cache will end up being used to keep traffic off the bandwidth starved FSB.

XEON can only just keep up on a Dual system, but when you step up to 4 or 8 way then Opteron leaves XEON in the dust.

The difference is in the architecture of the platform. Intel's platform use a shared FSB that gets congested in a MP system. In contrast to Opterons GRID like architecture.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -- Aristotles

• >>but when you step up to 4 or 8 way then Opteron leaves XEON in the dust

I'm agree. 4-way is very good. But finger me on a 8-way Opteron.

I've found only mentions about prototypes, but not about working products.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply