64-bit is here

• Bill Gates officially unveiled 64-bit Windows XP and Windows 2003 Monday at the WinHEC conference in Seattle. I've never been to one of these, but I'd like to go and see the cool new hardware. But I could do without Seattle. No offense to everyone up there, but I'll take the sun in Denver over the rain in Seattle anytime.

The 64-bit versions of some software have been available for awhile, but this is the official unveiling and we should not start seeing a growth in 64-bit hardware and software. A boon more for AMD than Intel in my opinion, at least at this juncture, but since I've been contemplating a new laptop, this gives me a bit of pause. Do I go AMD or Intel? 32bit or 64bit?

Actually I'd love if they'd get moving quickly on 64-bit adoption and the price of 32-bit machines would go down.

Since I didn't get my large monitor, I'm hoping for a new laptop. Send some positive vibes towards my wife and tell her I need one for those daily TechEd reports I plan on sending back in June 🙂

Steve Jones

• I don't have anything to add about 64-bit Windows, but I do about rainfall in Seattle

It's something of an urban legend that Seattle gets any more rainfall each year than the everage location in the US, netting only about 36 inches per year.  This is much less than the 55 inches of rain that Tennessee gets each year (where I currently am)

I've visited Seattle on 3 different occassions and it only rained once, and it wasn't even a real rain, just a light drizzle for a couple hours.

Just thought I would share

Brandon

• I know the feeling 32 or 64 bit ?? hmmmmmm........ So...

I bought a 64 bit AMD Althon last October. I knew there were very few drivers available. Bill Gates was chiding software companies to build 64 bit drivers for their products. Now there are 16,000 64 bit drivers available in the 64 bit XP & Server 2003 Operating systems.

I'm currently running a 32 XP OS but the AMD chip is as fast as my dual Xeon machine @ work (When not heavily multi-tasking).

1GB of DDR RAM & a SATA hard drive coupled with a 64 bit NVIDIA graphics card make the machine scream.

Now, as planned, I can upgrade to a true 64 bit machine and I can't wait to see how fast that can be. This has turned out to be a very nice solution. This machine doesn't sound like its running at break-neck light speed like the P4s with all the noise they generate... it just very quitely and reliably is the fastest thing I've ever owned.

As for Seattle or Denver.... I'll stay in California and enjoy the sun, surf, mountains, desert, snow and generally great weather.

• Well, Steve, sorry you missed the 65 degrees and sunny here in Seattle yesterday afternoon   It was a great day, especially for the U2 concert that followed...

Jeff

• I've seen reviews of many games not running on 64xp. But my question is as far I've seen most applications rarely use a significant amount of memory per application, even if its available. I've never been sure of whether its by design or just the way things work.

I've seen though the other end where server apps, such as SQL ,EXCH and especially ISSA be memory hogs.

But anything that makes a computer run faster will little cost to the consumer or business is a winner in my opinion. As for drivers, its not that manufacturers are not making the drivers its MS making so that older ones can not run virtually.

The 'authorisation process' to get MS's stamp of approval is somewhat lengthy and obstificated by a wall of vagularites to the point where I had to find alternative solutions .

So now I reprogram the offending devices and reprogram the drivers to match 'approved' devices

Why bring the mountain to mohammed when you can just call someone else mohammed who is already sitting at the peak.

And yes I obtain approal from the manufacturers in question. A couple of the companies 'loved' how adaptable their products are and posted internal press about the matter.

However they want to look at it is fine by me.

• You are correct about games lagging behind in developing 64 bit drivers. You are also correct about the 'Authorization Process' by MS.

The point of Authorization is to ensure that the drivers will in fact work on 64 bit acrhitecture. Yes it's a hassle - and yes it's profitable.

Memory is usually not an issue. How fast and how much memory has always been an issue - especialy for apps like SQL & ISSA. SQL for example will take ALL of your memory if you let it. It must be configured correctly. With 256 terrabytes of RAM now available even SQL will run faster not having to swap or thrash it's alogorithms about on the pagefile.

I would choose a 64 bit AMD machine everytime if given a choice between 32 and 64 bit. Even in translation mode the 64 bit machine will out perform the 32 bit machine. A 64 bit laptop would be very cool - both 'cool' as in nice and cooler in operation.

• well I hope they have made it a little better able to handle it, for as the server apps stand now .. you have to

change your

[Boot Loader]

Timeout=30

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows Server 2003" /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=3030

as I've done before with strange effects... and it almost seems unsupported...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply