64 bit client, xp server -- No go

• I have no idea why, but:

Client has a 64 bit station they're trying to connect to SQL Express running on an XP computer. Of course, the applications always get "Server doesn't exists or unable to login." Their other XP computers can access the database.

It is, of course, development's responsibility to figure out how to use this insane configuration.

Suggestions? Articles to read? App notes to consult?

[font="Arial"]Halfbubble ------------
    You just can't do this stuff unless you're at least half a bubble off center.[/font]

• Have you ruled out any network issues? Can you ping the server's IP address from the 64-bit client?

• also express editions don't accept allow remote connections by default; you'll need to right click on the server in SSMS, go to Properties,a nd then Connections:

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Yes, they can ping the server by ip address, but not name.

The XP computers that can access the database can also ping the server by ip address, but not name.

Since the XP computers can access the database, it's likely that the server express is configured for external connection.

You just can't do this stuff unless you're at least half a bubble off center.[/font]

• Is the Windows Firewall turned on for the client?

• A friend tells me:

Go into the NIC settings, on the advanced tab and make sure the Enable NetBios over TCP/IP is checked on.

I can't seem to try it as the silly computer won't talk to my remote support all of a sudden.

"It's your computer that's stupid, not you, right?"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply