6.5 Upgrade to 2000 - ADMIN$ issue?!?!

• Hi,

I have a problem that has stumped me for a day now.

I am upgrading our SQL server from 6.5 to 2000. The wizard was going well except some issues that I thought I had fixed (I replaced the file cnv6x70.dll to an older version to get around an NT to windows 2000 bug). This worked and set off the data in the Export and Import over named pipes step....

This came up with a new error. I then changed SOMETHING. Since then whenever it gets to the export and import over named pipes step it errors with...

"ERROR: Couldn't connect to the ADMIN$ share on the export machine. Verifiy that the MSSQLServer services uses a NT Domain account that is part of the ADMINISTRATORS group of the xport machine, and that both machines are part of the domain."

The output file reads "Login failed" when restarting the MSSQLServer service.

My head is banging against a wall. I cannot find what to change to reverse out of this, and a complete reinstall of SQL Server 2000 and the SP has not fixed it, I still get the same message. I have even taken settings out to try and throw a new error, but it stays as this!

Has anyone come across anything like this before?

Thanks in advance!

• Did you try what the error message suggested?  What happens if you try to map a drive on the import machine to \\EXPORT\admin$, where EXPORT is the name of your export machine?

John

• I did (at the time) and it didn't help. In the end I began the entire setup from scratch and it kept failing on the ADMIN share issue. I even tried to recreate earlier errors and it ignored them and showed me the ADMIN error.

I got to the point of the upgrade that had created all the objects again, and I quit and BCP'd the data across myself.

Are there issues this could cause (quitting the wizard midway but using what it has done so far)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply