5 Reasons You Must Start Capturing Baseline Data

• I wish I could get the developers here to log some of the baseline data into the database. I often baseline information from tables that have large numbers rows and distinct rows of data in the datetime fields.

• Robert.Sterbal (11/21/2012)

I wish I could get the developers here to log some of the baseline data into the database. I often baseline information from tables that have large numbers rows and distinct rows of data in the datetime fields.

If you can get one of the clever ones to write a reusable audit/logging class that makes it easy for the rest to include the functionality you'll get better compliance with the plan.

They're probably already putting debugging output while building code; if there was a framework for multiple verbosity level debugging that gets logged then deployed code would have the verbosity set to minimum baseline-only capture. This system is even better if the verbosity can be escalated from within the database when you need/want to audit (or automatically escalated by an error handler)

• What's the publish date for the other three articles in this series? The first one was very well written. Great topic as well.

• Thanks for the feedback 🙂 The second article should be published tomorrow (2012-11-27), I don't have a date for the remaining two yet, but will try to remember to post back when I do. Thanks for reading!

rosej (11/26/2012)

What's the publish date for the other three articles in this series? The first one was very well written. Great topic as well.

• Definitely. I agree with everything in this article. I am glad Erin writes this article as DBA best practice guide.

Alternatively, you could record troubled server by checking counters for CPU, memory, IO with system scheduled jobs while using triggers to record information for troubleshooting.

This is like when in trouble, patients automatic log symptoms, pains, temperature, color-picture and other diagnostic data to be used by doctors later. The principle works unless the server dropped dead. In that event, you will have the last black-box recorder data like before an airplane went down. That is why Oracle has DBA_History..... tables/views.

Jason

http://dbace.us

• Nice article.

• Great job. very well explained. look forward to the series. 🙂

• rudypry (1/24/2013)

Great job. very well explained. look forward to the series. 🙂

Thanks for the comment! You can find all the baselines articles here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/baselines

Enjoy 🙂

Erin

• Can't wait to read the next instalment! This is precisely what I have been looking for.

• Thanks for the article. Look forward to future installments.

• I missed this when it first came out. Thanks, I can use it in parts of the job here. Very useful.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply