32 Bit vs 64 Bit Issue

• Good morning all,

I am having an issue making connections in SSRS. We have two servers set up.

Both are running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise edition 64 bit (x64).

1 is at SP1 and running Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64) Enterprise Edition. It is set up as normal Report Server.

The other server is at SP2 and running Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2723.0 (X64) Enterprise Edition. It is set up in integrated mode with SharePoint 2007 (SharePoint running on another server).

We have a lot of data sources we need to hit. Some of these are Oracle versions from 8.0.5 up to 10.2.0.3, SQL Anywhere, btrieve, DB2, Excel, Access, and of course SQL Server versions 2000 through 2008. I am not having any issues hitting Oracle 8.1.x through 10.2. We have both 32 bit and 64 bit clients installed (also running some SSIS).

I can hit SQL Anywhere, btrieve, and Oracle 8.0.5 using 32 bit client installs or native MS drivers building and using BIDS on either server. I cannot however use the data connections once I publish to Report Server of SharePoint. Is this because of the 32 bit clients? Would it work if I do the report server install as a 32 bit install, or is using drivers from someone like Data Direct the only option.

We want to replace Crystal Reports with SSRS, but it is not looking promising. I will be glad to furnish what ever data you need.

Mike

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”...Robert McCloskey

• The main issue with Oracle 8i is Oracle in .NET which is what a Sharepoint application is Oracle wants you to use Oracle 9i RC2 client and above, if you did not use SharePoint you may not have issues with it. The second issue may be Oracle client for Windows support for Vista and Windows 2008 is very limited because Microsoft have moved to a new data access from MDAC. So try 9i client in both x86 and x64.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks for the answer. The problem I foresee is that I need the Oracle 10 clients to work with SSIS because of the "program files (x86)" issue. Am I going to have an issue running 4 Oracle clients? Beside, I am thinking I tried this already and got a some kind of error saying that the operating system did not support that version of the client. (My memory is not like it used to be.) Maybe I could revert to Windows server 2003.

Mike

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”...Robert McCloskey

• Oracle in any .NET development or deployment require Oracle client installed and 8i is not supported you need at least 9i RC2 to use 8i with SharePoint. You also need the TNSNames.Ora file in the same folder with the client because Oracle gets the authenticated user issue which it fixed for just 11g. Oracle maybe the only x64 RDBMS you are running and SharePoint is still x86 so you could run everything as x86 and most of your problems with go away.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks for your answer. It would seem that 9i client is not certified for Windows Server 2008 or Vista. I think I had to download 10.2.0.4 client for Vista. This is not a life and death issue right now, so I will continue to poke around. I think I am going to try a 32 bit reporting services install on my 64 bit SQL Server on my dev server to see if that solves some of my issues.

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike

• I did uninstall reporting services and then I reinstalled it it as a new instance, but only installed 32 bit reporting services.

I was able to reconnect to the original reporting DB on the 64 bit server instance. All data connectors that needed 32 bit connections due to old clients now are working.

We are still looking at using an ODBC solution from Data Direct as we really would like to stay in the 64 bit world.

Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply