32-bit SSRS on 64-bit machine

• I am developing reports that require the use of a 32-bit ODBC driver. The reports worked fine off a 32-bit install of SQL Server on a test machine. When I tried moving it over to the production server, the ODBC connections were not found. After further research I understand that the 64-bit SSRS can't use the 32-bit drivers. Rather than taking a chance of screwing up the production server, I decided to install a new SQL Server on another server that I can make a mess of if need be. This server is 64 bit as well. I used the installer that I used on the 32-bit machine. During the install, it seemed like it was installing the 32-bit version. Even the install directory was Program Files (x86). So, I was thinking all would be good. After doing all the updates, I have run into a problem connecting to this server from my desktop. While investigating this, I noticed that in Management Studio the Product property says Microsoft SQL Server Standard Edition (64-bit).

Before I spend a bunch of time trying to resolve my connection issue and get to testing my reports, I am hoping someone can tell me whether or not I have to reinstall SQL Server on a 32-bit machine, uninstall SSRS and install a 32-bit version instead, or should my current install work?

By the way, the installer that we downloaded was named SW_DVD9_SQL_Svr_Standard_Edtn_2008_R2_English_MLF_X16-29588.ISO

Any help will be appreciated.

Jim

• did you select the x86 processor type from the options section of the initial splash screen for the install of SSRS

can you not create the system DSN via c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe and which will have the 32bit ODBC drivers, then create the connection string in SSRS.

• Hi,

I did the full install of SQL Server, including SSRS, using the default settings, so I didn't see that option. If I uninstall SSRS and reinstall, should I see that option? If so, I will try that.

As for the ODBC, yes I used that ODBC application. I ran into that with a vb.net application and was able to get that working using it. However, when I try to run a report using one of those connections, it says it can't find it. All the research implied that the 64-bit SSRS can't connect to a 32-bit driver.

Thanks,

Jim

• yeah, you should see that option, its on the very first screen before you have clicked anything.

if you dont mind me asking, what DB provider are you linking to and what are you executing over that DSN, T-SQL stored procs etc? Have you thought about linking SSRS linked servers on the SQL server to the other DB servers and sending commands via the SQL engine?

• I am connecting to a Progress database and running basic SQL commands. According to the VAR that supports our ERP system, there are no 64-bit drivers available for Progress. I've worked with SQL Server for many years, but I am new to the Progress world. I may look into the Linked Server suggestion in the future, but for now I want to just get this ODBC stuff working. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I will let you know how this goes. I appreciate the quick help.

Jim

• Yeah, I cant help you on Progress, never touched it.

Have you tried here

http://www.datadirect.com/product-downloads/connect64-odbcwin.html or even just the root, they seem to have a host of drivers

• Thanks for the link, but they don't have drivers for a Progress db. The name is just a coincidence.

• Just to let you know, I got everything working. I did have to uninstall SSRS and reinstall it. I did have to hunt around for that x86 option. I thought you meant during the SSRS install. When I didn't see it there, I found it in the Options of the Installation Center.

Thanks again for the help.

Jim

• you could of installed a new instance of SSRS without uninstalling, but then you would have to do the following

http://hostname/reports_instancename

unless you created a host header record in DNS and the configuration of SSRS.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply