3-node Database Mirroring

• Hi,

I would like to set up database mirroring on a 3-server environment. The idea would be to have 2 DB servers configured as the database principle and 1 DB server hosting the all the mirrored copies from both active DB servers. These things are often difficult to explain in so I will simplify in the following way.

Server 1 would be acting as Principle server for databases A, B and C and Server 2 would be acting as principle server for databases D, E and F. Server 3 would be acting as mirrored server for all databases A, B, C, D, E, and F.

I've read from various sources that any DB server can only have one endpoint configured for use with DB mirroring, but I'm uncertain as to whether this one endpoint can serve various mirror relationships with differing hosts. Other than configure a handful environments with conventional database mirroring, I'm new to SQL mrroring so want to make sure I understand this. Is this configuration possible?

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

• A common mirror..I think it is not possible.

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• I guess it could be possible. As two different instance on a same server will be distinguised by the different tcp/ip port. Hence I guess what you are planning to do is logically possible. Still have not practically done. You can also refer the following link for reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179511.aspx

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• free_mascot (3/24/2010)

I guess it could be possible. As two different instance on a same server will be distinguised by the different tcp/ip port. Hence I guess what you are planning to do is logically possible. Still have not practically done. You can also refer the following link for reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179511.aspx

HTH

yes u are right, 2 different instance on same server can be configured for mirroring, but in this case both the instances are principal server to common mirror, which I think is not possible.

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• AtlasAdmin (3/24/2010)

Hi,

I would like to set up database mirroring on a 3-server environment. The idea would be to have 2 DB servers configured as the database principle and 1 DB server hosting the all the mirrored copies from both active DB servers. These things are often difficult to explain in so I will simplify in the following way.

Server 1 would be acting as Principle server for databases A, B and C and Server 2 would be acting as principle server for databases D, E and F. Server 3 would be acting as mirrored server for all databases A, B, C, D, E, and F.

I've read from various sources that any DB server can only have one endpoint configured for use with DB mirroring, but I'm uncertain as to whether this one endpoint can serve various mirror relationships with differing hosts. Other than configure a handful environments with conventional database mirroring, I'm new to SQL mrroring so want to make sure I understand this. Is this configuration possible?

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

First, you haven't indicated if you will have a witness server. If so, you will need a fourth server, although this fourth server could be a simple file server with SQL Server Express 2005 installed, as the Express edition can serve as a witness in a high safety mirror environment.

Second:

1. Each instance of SQL Server installed on a server can have only one database mirror endpoint configured. Each database on that instance serving in a mirrored environemtn uses the same database mirroring endpoint.

2. Each endpoint on a separate server can use the same tcp port number.

What you are proposing with 2 servers, each with 3 principal databases, mirrored to a 3rd server hosting all six mirrored databases is quite doable.

Remember, database mirroring is done at the database level, not the server level.

• ...and I guess the only caveat on doing this, of course, is that none of the databases to be mirrored have the same name....

• And that would be correct.

• Hey Guys,

Sorry if i have misunderstood btu what i think you asking is quite routine. The databases from two servers are to be mirrored onto a third server (DR)??? If thats correct and i have understood, it is very possible ans easy to.

I have two production servers that have various fully logged db's on. A fair few of these (from each serer) are mirrored to a single dr box (without witness).

In this way we can fail all mirrored db's (for both servers) to the dr box.

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Schadenfreude-Mei (3/25/2010)

Hey Guys,

Sorry if i have misunderstood btu what i think you asking is quite routine. The databases from two servers are to be mirrored onto a third server (DR)??? If thats correct and i have understood, it is very possible ans easy to.

I have two production servers that have various fully logged db's on. A fair few of these (from each serer) are mirrored to a single dr box (without witness).

In this way we can fail all mirrored db's (for both servers) to the dr box.

Thank you for the affirmation, it is good to have another voice heard from, particularly since you have implemented such a solution already.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply