2008 R2 Enterprise Evaluation Edition upgrade to Full License Standard

• Has anybody done a successful upgrade from 180-day 2008 R2 Enterprise Evaluation Edition to a Fully Licensed 2008 R2 Standard Edition?

Acording to microsoft's site it is possible: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

but I want to make sure.

My company won't spend on Enterprise but if I can show them a performance difference on new hardware they will buy Standard. I do not want to have to tear down all my evaluation instances and have to rebuild them all over.

• I'll answer my own question: Yes you can do it but if you buy a MOLP version instead of retail and if the language of your OS is not the same as the language of the SQL get ready for some fun like: “setup media does not support the language of the OS or does not have ENU localized files” and then failed “Performance counter registry hive consistency”

Workaround is to export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009 edit it and on the line with path change Perflib\009 to Perflib\015 save and then merge.

Don’t even waste your time with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956

Of course in the evaluation version you don’t run into any of that because then a lot of people evaluating would probably say “no thanks”

• When upgrading to MOLP what do you use for registration key?

• In MOLP the key is embeded on the CD (ISO image), it already shows automatically, you don't even have to enter it.

• I removed the key entry cause I thought it was an evaluation key and completed the upgrade with no problems. I saved a copy of the key number if I need to re-enter it by doing the upgrade process again.

I googled the key number that was displayed and there were a few results that made me think it was a known key number.

• Yes, my MOLP key also shows on some pages (mostly Vietnamese) with a lot of other MS keys, including some old TechNet keys, so their use is practically impossible to detect...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply