2008 R2 Client Tools Connection Problem

• We have a SQL Server 2008 R2 Server and a Client Workstation with the R2 Client Tools installed.

The Problem is that the User can Connect to the Server and see the Databases using SSMS but can't do much else. They can't run Queries. The Connection Icon doesn't go Green but shows a White Circle.

We have tried Windows & SQL Server Authentication. sa didn't work.

If the User is a Domain Admin. it works.

The Client SSMS also has the same trouble with a non-R2 SQL Server 2008.

Any thoughts ?

• First off, if you are going to use sa to access the server you will need to login as the domain admin and enable the sa account. This is typically disabled by default.

Alternatively, login as the domain admin that works and add the remote user's AD account to the SQL Server giving appropriate permissions to the database.

• I can use sa any time that I choose except in the situation outlined in the Post. The User had access to both servers prior to using the R2 Client.

I know that I can revert to the Previous Version but I would prefer the R2 Client to work plus I want this solved going forwards.

• I would still think permissions, but don't have any brilliant ideas.

Can you install the non R2 version of client tools and see if they (still?) connect ok?

• I agree that it's probably permissions related somewhere but where. Clearly sa has all of the SQL Server Permissions needed.

• Do you get a specific error message when the user tries to run a query?

That may help. It just seems strange that sa from the remote client works different than sa on the server...

What happens if you log onto the server as that user and try the connection?

• Just in case anybody is actually interested. We have fixed this.

Don't really know the cause but problem was solved by removing older software from the PC such as SQL Server 2005 Client Tools and the R2 Client Tools then installing the R2 Client Tools again.

Just another Windows inconsistency bug really.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply