2008 R2... alerts not firing one server...

• I'm creating alerts which call a job on a bunch of servers. Alerts like this:

declare @job_id varchar(100)

select @job_id =job_id from msdb.dbo.sysjobs where name='Error Sev 17 or Higher Alert'

/****** Object: Alert [Error Sev 17] Script Date: 05/14/2012 12:28:09 ******/

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_add_alert @name=N'Error Sev 17',

@message_id=0,

@severity=17,

@enabled=1,

@delay_between_responses=60,

@include_event_description_in=0,

@category_name=N'[Uncategorized]',

@job_id=@job_id

The job isnt really important- in almost all servers this works just fine.

On one server, the alerts never get fired. I can create the alert through the gui, any severity and it wont fire. I test using raiserror

and by actually creating a sev 17 error by filling a transaction log....

If I look at the error, the "date of last alter" is always "never occurred".

What am I missing?

• NJ-DBA (5/16/2012)

I'm creating alerts which call a job on a bunch of servers. Alerts like this:

declare @job_id varchar(100)

select @job_id =job_id from msdb.dbo.sysjobs where name='Error Sev 17 or Higher Alert'

/****** Object: Alert [Error Sev 17] Script Date: 05/14/2012 12:28:09 ******/

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_add_alert @name=N'Error Sev 17',

@message_id=0,

@severity=17,

@enabled=1,

@delay_between_responses=60,

@include_event_description_in=0,

@category_name=N'[Uncategorized]',

@job_id=@job_id

The job isnt really important- in almost all servers this works just fine.

On one server, the alerts never get fired. I can create the alert through the gui, any severity and it wont fire. I test using raiserror

and by actually creating a sev 17 error by filling a transaction log....

If I look at the error, the "date of last alter" is always "never occurred".

What am I missing?

Just a note- I deleted and recreated the alerts through the gui... changed the response to take the job totally out of the loop... the alerts just dont fire at all.. never gets to the job.

• What happens when you run in it management studio?

Do they show up in the logs?

• The errors appear in the errorlog, but the alert does not get fired.

• Have you verified the operators are valid, and the email profiles for the operators are valid? Can you sent a test email?

• benjamin.reyes (5/16/2012)

Have you verified the operators are valid, and the email profiles for the operators are valid? Can you sent a test email?

Why would operators or email profiles have anything to do with it... the alert doesnt fire regardless of the response. If the alert is configured to run a job, not to notify an operator, none of this matters. Also, when the alert is configured to neither run a job nor alert an operator, it still doesnt fire.

• Some additinoal info:

this is a 2008 R2 single node cluster. it previously hosted a SQL 2000 cluster. when I raiserrror, the event log show a problem decoding errors from SQL Server which I dont see on other clusters:

Event Type:Error

Event Source:MSSQLSERVER

Event Category:(2)

Event ID:17063

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 17063 ) in Source ( MSSQLSERVER ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 50000, 17, 1, THIS IS A TEST ERROR.

• If anyone else is encountering this issue, I resolved the problem by reloading the perf counters as described here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2009/03/03/troubleshooting-sql-server-2005-2008-performance-counter-collection-problems.aspx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply