2008 and 2005 on same pc

• I already had 2005 installed with a number of databases on my PC. Someone asked me to look at a database problem they had so sent me a script. It wouldnt run because it had the 'Date' term which is only valid in 2008.

I installed 2008 alongside 2005 and 2008 management studio.

When I open 2008 management studio I only see the 2005 server

I know I am doing something stupid but how I can create a new 2008 database and run the script against that to install all the objects etc

• forumlogger (7/16/2012)

I already had 2005 installed with a number of databases on my PC. Someone asked me to look at a database problem they had so sent me a script. It wouldnt run because it had the 'Date' term which is only valid in 2008.

I installed 2008 alongside 2005 and 2008 management studio.

When I open 2008 management studio I only see the 2005 server

I know I am doing something stupid but how I can create a new 2008 database and run the script against that to install all the objects etc

did you install a default or named instance of SQL Server 2008?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Pass..

I was in a hurry so just ticked all the boxes.. is that what I have done wrong.. should I have created another instance ?

• maybe you need to install a new instance of sql server,

the default probably has beenused for your 2005 version

while istalling the wizard will show you the installed instances and will ask you to pick a new name

[font="Courier New"]Aram Koukia: http://www.koukia.ca[/font]
  • No idea, which boxes did you tick and what options did you select? Is there another instance on the server? If so, what's it called?

(it won't automagically show up in object explorer)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Whats better..

Uninstall 2008 and start again

or

Can I create a new instance for 2008 ?

Thanks

• forumlogger (7/16/2012)

Whats better..

Uninstall 2008 and start again

or

Can I create a new instance for 2008 ?

Thanks

Open up services.msc and check what you have listed for SQL Server services. Post a screen shot if you can

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Msc

• did you actually instal SQL Server 2008 database engine or just client tools, without knowing the options you selected its impossible to say, doesn't look like 2008 instance is installed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply