2005 upgrade failure "GAPI32.DLL"

• I just upgraded SQL 2000 to 2005, Developer Edition on XP Pro SP2.

After restart I keep getting this error

---------------------------

SQLAGENT90.EXE - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because GAPI32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

But the file *does* exist at C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT\GAPI32.DLL

And trying any SQL tool or service gives various errors like these

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Unexpected error encountered. It is recommended that you restart the application as soon as possible.

Error: Cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key.

File: vsee\lib\reg\ckey.cpp

Line number: 337

------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Management Console

Snap-in failed to initialize.

Name:Microsoft SQL Enterprise Manager

CLSID:{00100100-1816-11D0-8EF5-00AA0062C58F}

Has anyone else hit this or know a resolution.

There is *nothing!* at MSDN about this SQL 2005 problem.

thanks all!

Skål - jh

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• In that directory run

regsvr32 gapi32.dll

To be honest it's probably indicative of a wider problem, which the MSI should take care of. Try adding/removing components, the MSI should self-heal.

• thanks all.

yeah it was a big wide problem.  ended up uninstalling SQL 2005 full and express editions and reinstalling the server.  since then it's been fine.

much appreciated!

Skål - jh

• Just go to google search gapi32.dll put it in system32 and try to start the sql agent service from services.msc. This has worked for me.

• If your sql agent is in the starting or stopping mode. Download process explorer from sysinternals.com and kill sqlagent90.exe. If your agent automatically starts go to services.msc and right click agent properties and click recovery tab. (First failure,Second Failure,,,,,,)=Take no Action. Then download gapi32.dll from google.com and put it in c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32 and start your sql agent server. Bingo... i should work....

• That worked for me. I put the GAPI32.dll in system32 and restarted. I do not get the popup window for SQLAGENT90.exe anymore. Thx!

• The same procedure worked for us as well. What happened in our situation is that we went from windows service pack 1 to 2 without putting in the rest of the updates. GAPI32.dll went away but was then restored after we were current on our critical patches. However, we still had to take the .DLL and move it to the correct location in order for the situation to be corrected.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply