2005 Setup Support Files Will Not Install

• Hello experts,

I have an ugly problem and I'm getting nowhere fast with it.

Installing just the 2005 client tools onto an XP SP3 laptop.

At this time, even the Setup Support files fail to install. (The SQL Native Client installed successfully)

The Summary log shows this:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.1399.06

==============================

OS Version : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)

Time : Tue Feb 21 14:50:51 2012

Machine : PNCLMISLAP048

Product : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)

Product Version : 9.00.1399.06

Install : Failed

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_PNCLMISLAP048_Support.log

Last Action : InstallFinalize

Error String : An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.WizardFrameworkLite,Version="9.0.242.0",processorArchitecture="MSIL",Culture="neutral",PublicKeyToken="89845dcd8080cc91",FileVersion="9.0.1399.0"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070020. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {52723CBD-3400-458C-988A-4D012E6CAEDB}

Error Number : 1935

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PNCLMISLAP048 : There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard. You may review the setup logs and/or click the help button for more information.

SQL Server Setup failed.

Very few tips when I googled this. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, John

• What do the setup logs say?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• In addition to the above stuff which is fom the Summary.txt ....

SQLSetup....Core.log shows:

Unattended=false

WorkDir=C:\Downloads\SQLSTDSEL\Servers

}} {t:\yukon\sql\setup\sqlcu\dll\scusetupmgr.cpp:501}

ScuProgressDlg::SetupFinished()

ScuProgressDlg::DialogProc() installation done... waiting for setup mgr

<EndFunc Name='UpdateComponents' Return='1603' GetLastError='0'>

Component update returned a fatal error : 1935

Error Code: 0x8007078f (1935)

Windows Error Text: Source File Name: SqlSupport.msi

Compiler Timestamp: Thu Sep 1 22:23:04 2005

Function Name: InstallFinalize

Source Line Number: 1564

Class not registered.

Error: Failed to add file :"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_PNCLMISLAP048_.NET Framework 2.0.log" to cab file : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\SqlSetup0004.cab" Error Code : 2

Error: Failed to add file :"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_PNCLMISLAP048_.NET Framework 2.0 LangPack.log" to cab file : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\SqlSetup0004.cab" Error Code : 2

Error: Failed to add file :"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_PNCLMISLAP048_.NET Framework Upgrade Advisor.log" to cab file : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\SqlSetup0004.cab" Error Code : 2

Error: Failed to add file :"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_PNCLMISLAP048_.NET Framework Upgrade Advisor LangPack.log" to cab file : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\SqlSetup0004.cab" Error Code : 2

Error: Failed to add file :"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_PNCLMISLAP048_.NET Framework Windows Installer.log" to cab file : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\SqlSetup0004.cab" Error Code : 2

Error: Failed to add file :"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_PNCLMISLAP048_.NET Framework Windows Installer LangPack.log" to cab file : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\SqlSetup0004.cab" Error Code : 2

Running: UploadDrWatsonLogAction at: 2012/1/21 15:17:6

Message pump returning: 1935

• You may have a bad install file, but on the off chance that you don't, check the following:

Available disk space (is it enough for the setup files?)

Attributes of the cab files in question (are they set read only?)

Permissions of the user you are logged in as (are you administrator?)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thanks for your interest Brandi.

I have used this same install file dozens of times. On the chance it got copied during the copy from the server, I recopied it and got the same failure.

Plenty of disk space. The user is in the local administrators group. This is a laptop with XP Pro SP3

The SQL Native Client installs successfully. Then it fails in Installing Pre-Reqs" for Setup Support Files.

Should I get a fresh download of 2005 STD and start over?

Thanks, John

• Unfortunately, just because the file worked before doesn't mean it will still work. You could have new disk corruption (or DVD scratching) that is causing your problem.

Try uninstalling all the setup files and everything, then going in and deleting any "spares" left over. Then try the install from scratch.

If that doesn't work, then yes, get a fresh copy of the install file.

• I'm not using a DVD. Installing from folders on the laptop that I copied from the server that holds all install files. You remember, the "Servers" and "Tools" folders. I have used these same install files for 50 or more installs.

I have already done the uninstall etc. No luck.

I should mention that 2 days ago, first attempt, I successfully installed the 2005 Client Tools, BOL etc. Then tried to install SP3 and that failed with an error I cannot remember. So I then used Add/Remove programs to uninstall everything. Now the Setup Support Files will not install.

• John Bates-251278 (2/22/2012)

I should mention that 2 days ago, first attempt, I successfully installed the 2005 Client Tools, BOL etc. Then tried to install SP3 and that failed with an error I cannot remember. So I then used Add/Remove programs to uninstall everything. Now the Setup Support Files will not install.

AHA! :w00t:

Shame on you for not mentioning that first (shakes finger).

You've got registry issues, Sir. Do you have a backup of your registry prior to install attempt?

If not, you'll need to contact Microsoft for help in cleaning up after the failed SP3 install. Or, try googling the SP3 failure to see what other people have posted about cleaning up after it.

• Mr. Certifiable,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will work on the registry issue.

Appropriately humbled. John

• You are quite welcome. I will warn you though, that I'm only 90% certain of the registry issues. So if you still have problems after cleaning it up, let us know.

• Brandie, I have discovered the root cause of the installation failures.

We recently moved from Symantec Antivirus to Kaspersky. I never had this problem when my servers and PCs were running Symantec.

But, after I fully *removed* Kaspersky, the client tools and SP3 installed successfully. (Simply disabling Kaspersky was not enough, I had to remove it)

Maybe my pain will help someone avoid this problem in the future.

John

• Thank you for posting that.

Anti-Virus software kills things every time. I have seen more problems caused by that... Sorry I didn't think about it in your situation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply