2005 Report Server Database Restore Problems

• EDIT: Seems the culprit was his local PC still trying to connect as a 2008 machine and modify the RS configuration on the server. After shutting down services on the PC, and restoring the RS databases again, we seem to be ok.

------------------------

We have a report server running on SQL Server 2005. A co-worker was installing SQL 2008 client tools on his PC and accidentally connected the 2008 Reporting Services Configuration Tool to that 2005 report server and we started to get this message:

An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. (rsInternalError)

Procedure or function 'CreateSession' expects parameter '@SiteZone', which was not supplied.

The 2005 SQL server is running on a VMWare system so we restored the entire server from the previous night's image which, we hoped, should have restored things back to the way they were before. However, after that, we're still getting that error message...and the 2005 Reporting Services config tool gives the following message when trying to initialize the report server:

The version of the report server database is either in a aformat that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is '147'. The expected version is 'C.0.8.54'. To continue, update the version of the report server data base and verify access rights. (rsInvalidReportServerDatabase)

We did try the Upgrade button on the Database Setup tab but the database version mismatch prevents that from happening.

After the image restoration, we're not sure why the report server database thinks it is a 2008 R2 version ('147') rather than 2005 ('C.0.8.54') or why the database would still have any traces of 2008 R2-ishness at all (which the first error would seem to imply).

We also just did a SQL backup restore from the previous night's full backup and are still running into the same situation.

Any clues on how to proceed to get it back to an operative state? And, if creating a new report server database is the way to go, how can we get the old subscriptions, etc. brought over to the new database.

Thanks.

• homebrew01,

I did the same steps yesterday where i have connected my local SQL2012 SSRS configuration manager with SQL2005 "ReportServer" database and today i have noticed the same error.

Due to this connection, it has changed several objects in "ReportServer" and "ReportServerTempDB".

I have recovered by restoring the day-before yesterday's (15th) backup of "ReportServer" and also "ReportServerTempDB". So you may also try to restore the both databases.

Now my server is up and fine again.

Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply