2005 Books

• Hi Guys and Girls,

I know this has probably been asked before, but it might be worth asking again now there is a few more books out there.

I need recommedations for SQL 2005 books, primarily from a DBA perspective. I have 6 years experience starting from 6.5 to 2000 so nothing for a complete newbie.

Also if anyone has good recommendations for Integration Services, Reporting Services and a good Development book that would be great.

Cheers

Chris

• I recommend Pro SQL Server 2005, author Thomas Rizzo, Apress. It's for DBAs and developers who already have experience with SQL Server 2000. It does not teach you SQL or administration, it is mostly dedicated to new features of 2005.

Among others, It has chapters dedicated to Analysis Services, Reporting Services, Integration Services, Enhancements for developers. It teaches you step by step how to build SSIS packages, in 2005 they are much more complex even completely different from 2000's DTS. With this book I could easily build my first SSIS packages.

Mark

• Thanks Mark

• I like the Itzik ben-gan books which if you write or review a lot of SQL are very useful

Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Querying

Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Programming

I have also found Professional SQL Server 2005 Integration Services to be very useful although this book is far from perfect as there are some errors in it and some bits feel rushed.

I also have Professional SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 with MDX which so far seems to be good book but I haven't used it too much yet

I have looked at PRO SQL Server 2005 which Mark recommneded and it is also a good book but its more an introduction to all the new bits and improvements whereas the other books go into more depth it really depends on what you are looking for which is better

hth

David

• Thanks David,

I think I'll go for the PRO SQL Server 2005 book for starters, then go for individual books you suggested as an when needed.

I have the Inside SQL 7.0 and 2000 books and found them good reference material, nice to see the new editions are worth the money

Cheers

Chris

• I like Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Integration Services by Kirk Haselden, Sam's Publishing.

Kirk was the Development Manager for SSIS and it is obvious he knows his stuff.

I did have one gripe. The Appendix is missing.  For example Page 191, Chapter 9, Using Expressions, First paragraph "Appendix B, Expression Syntax and Cookbook, covers more detailed descriptions of expression evaluator functions and syntax."

I have yet to find any Appendix. I noted this on his blog and the publishers feedback but naturally had no reply.

It would be nice to get it in a PDF.

Still it is a good book and I guess the other is just the publisher rushing to get the book out the door and poor customer service. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply