2000 clustering

• I have two servers to setup sql server 2000 clustering. I need to have both servers working at the same time doing different requests.

Both will have a copy of the same read-optimized data model. 98% selects here.

What are some options for me here?

• If both nodes of the cluster can see and use the data at the same time that's an active/active setup. It also means you have to have two Enterprise Licenses to run it.

-SQLBill

• What should this look like when its installed and setup?

(instances installed, etc)

• quote:

What should this look like when its installed and setup?

(instances installed, etc)

Each node will have two services for MSSQLSERVER, one with that name (as the default instance) and one with MSSQL$[instance name]. There will also be two services installed for the SQL Agent (SQLSERVERAGENT - default and SQLAgent$[instance name]). When you install SQL Server 2000 on a cluster, the install program recognizes that it is a cluster and places the executables on the local C: drive of both nodes.

The services are set to Manual and should be left that way. Stopping and starting SQL must be done from the Cluster Admin console.

• Your main issue in trying to set up an active/active failover cluster as a scale-out solution (as opposed to an availability solution which is what failover clusters are really designed for) is synchronising the content in both instances. The only way I can think of doing this would be to set up transactional replication with the immediately updating subscribers option between the two databases. This should work in theory although I have yet to test or implement such a solution in our environment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply