2 node SQL2005 clustering under Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 Ent R2 SP1

• planning my next article for SSC and seen a few posts from people who had issues making this work. Anybody interested or think its useful or am i wasting my time? :unsure:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Anybody?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I tried this a while ago and ran into problems, I forget the exact nature but I believe it was with Virtual Server rather than SQL. I'd love to have a clustered test environment, so I voted yes! Especially if you can provide step-by-step instructions and explain any of the common problems that are likely to be experienced.

• This article using Hyper-V would be more interesting I think, although due to the changes in Windows 2008 clustering you might have a problem with the shared storage for the cluster. We tried doing this with IETD as an iSCSI target and unfortunately it does not support SCSI-3 persistent reservations which Microsoft has forced upon us... although this is probably to maintain their relationships with storage server partners since that is one of the few available iSCSI solutions that support this right now.

Back to Windows 2003/Virtual Server, I could still see this article being useful.

[edit]I should have mentioned by the way that there are things such as StarWind from RocketDivision and iSCSI Cake which can now do the persistent reservations required by Windows 2008 clustering. http://www.iscsicake.com/ and http://www.rocketdivision.com/wind.html[/edit]

• the biggest problem is setting the shared storage and this is what i think most people stumble on. The storage can only be accessed by one VM at a time until the first cluster node is installed. This will all be covered in the article

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply