2 node cluster with 2 sql instances

• I am new to cluster environment. I am planning to install two named instances of SQL 2016 on Windows server 2016.Do I need to use same Virtual IP for both SQL instances ??Network name will be different and different drives for both instances I need to use right? Please correct me If I am wrong. Also suggest what prerequisites I need to consider before going ahead.

• Hi, no, each named instance will need to have its own static reserved IP address.  The Sql Server Network Name, which you will complete during the Sql Server failover Cluster installation will also be different for each named instance.  This will be how you connect to the instance (ex. NetworkName\NamedInstance)  Assuming you are using shared storage, you would want separate LUNS (SAN disks) for Sql Server, one possibly for system, data, log, tempdb, and backup for each instance to separate files for performance and administrative reasons.   

• Virtual name, ip, disks , SQL port etc has to separate for each instance. For better performance use different drives for system DB, DAta, log, Temp and backup as mentioned by RVSC48

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• RVSC48 - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:40 AM

Hi, no, each named instance will need to have its own static reserved IP address.  The Sql Server Network Name, which you will complete during the Sql Server failover Cluster installation will also be different for each named instance.  This will be how you connect to the instance (ex. NetworkName\NamedInstance)  Assuming you are using shared storage, you would want separate LUNS (SAN disks) for Sql Server, one possibly for system, data, log, tempdb, and backup for each instance to separate files for performance and administrative reasons.   

ok Thank you.

• durai nagarajan - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:04 AM

Virtual name, ip, disks , SQL port etc has to separate for each instance. For better performance use different drives for system DB, DAta, log, Temp and backup as mentioned by RVSC48

Thanks Durai.

• prem.m38 - Monday, August 28, 2017 11:53 PM

I am new to cluster environment. I am planning to install two named instances of SQL 2016 on Windows server 2016.Do I need to use same Virtual IP for both SQL instances ??Network name will be different and different drives for both instances I need to use right? Please correct me If I am wrong. Also suggest what prerequisites I need to consider before going ahead.

Please read my stairway to alwayson starting at this link

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply