2 ldf files to one ldf file

• i have a db having 2 logs files on different drive e:\ & f:\

d:\machine.mdf

e:\machine_log.ldf

f:\machine_log2.ldf

Now since new disk space added to e:\ , we want move both log files to one drive.

so i m doing detach and attach.

e:\machine_log2.ldf

is it possible if i attach only one log file ?

• No, don't do that. The system expects two log files. Attach both, then try to use SSMS to remove the 2nd one. IF it doesn't work, try a shrinkfile to shrink the 2nd one to 0 bytes, then remove it.

• can we append the backup of both tran logs and restore to one single log.

Tanx 😀

• I dont think you can control individual log files. log files are written in a round-robin fashion. when one file gets full, sql server moves to another file for logging transactions.

Pradeep Singh

• Here is your answer for both SQL Server 2000 and 2005 :

backup log test with no_log <-- take the tail log backup .

dbcc shrinkfile (test_log2,emptyfile) <-- shrink it and empty it .

alter database test remove file test_log2 <-- remove it .

Abhay Chaudhary
    Sr.DBA (MCITP/MCTS :SQL Server 2005/2008 ,OCP 9i)

• Pradeep its not the round robin algorithm that SQL uses any more .Perhaps it would have been in the earlier builds .But 2000 onwards we use proportional fill algorithm i.e. all files will be filled in such a way that they fill together ..

Regards

Abhay Chaudhary

• i was of the opinion that data files get filled proportionally and log files in round robin sequence. I cant seem to find related articles...

Pradeep Singh

• Actually you are right .T-Logs DO NOT work on the principal of porportional fill...

I apologize for my previous mail .....

Regards

Abhay

Abhay Chaudhary

• 😉 Never mind. we all do get confused in most basic things at times.

Pradeep Singh

• Have you thought of the option of shrinking all of the data out of one of the transaction log files (see DBCC SHRINKFILE) so that it is empty, and then using the ALTER DATABASE command to remove the log file that was just emptied? In that way, you combine the 2 log files into a single file and then end up with one *.MDF and one *.LDF file for the database.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply