16 core and sql server enterprise license cost

• hi,

what does enterprise edition per core mean , say if i have 2 cpu with 16 core do i need to buy 16 license of sql server.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/sql-server/purchasing.aspx#fbid=puguINf8EB5

and from above website what does it mean.

**Editions sold in the Per Core licensing model are sold as 2-core packs.

some one bought two quantity of sql server enterprise edition license , and it is not clear for how many core he has bought .

does it have any default min core requirements for sql server enterprise edition.

• You would get better help about licensing if you contact Microsoft directly. Anything said in this forum would be unofficial and possibly different from the real options you have.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Yes, you need enough SQL Enterprise licenses to cover all 16 cores, however one SQL Enterprise license = 2 cores. So for a 16-core server you'll need a total of 8 licenses.

To add to that, each license allows for an offline mirror. Meaning you can setup database mirroring, or an unreadable AlwaysOn secondary in a DR site if you want. However, if you want an online mirror, as in a readable secondary for Read-Only Routing, you'll need full licenses for the secondary server too.

• a quick google shows me enterprise licenses for SQL2016 are $7,128 per core, so MSRP would be select 7128.00 * 16 = $114,048.00

At the PASS conference Glenn Berry noted it's a dangerous pitfall where the DBA is not in sync with the guy who orders hardware, because the hardware cost of getting more cores is trivial when licensing is not trivial at all;

one of his examples was a half million license cost example, as i remember.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (12/1/2016)

a quick google shows me enterprise licenses for SQL2016 are $7,128 per core, so MSRP would be select 7128.00 * 16 = $114,048.00

At the PASS conference Glenn Berry noted it's a dangerous pitfall where the DBA is not in sync with the guy who orders hardware, because the hardware cost of getting more cores is trivial when licensing is not trivial at all;

one of his examples was a half million license cost example, as i remember.

Yeah, pretty much. Only in this case you wouldn't need 16 licenses. Each license is worth 2 cores, so more accurately: $7,128.00 * 8 = $57,024. If you have an Enterprise Agreement, and you buy those licenses at the beginning of your 3-year contract, then that cost is divided up among the three years. Making it $57,024 / 3 years = $19,008 per year. And yes, do not let your hardware guys replace machines without talking to the Microsoft licensing guy first! Especially since Microsoft just applied the same rules to Windows Server 2016 (although one Windows Server 2016 license is worth 8-cores, I believe).

Oh, and BTW, that's about 1/6th the cost of Oracle, depending on who you ask.

• nal4236 (12/1/2016)

Yes, you need enough SQL Enterprise licenses to cover all 16 cores, however one SQL Enterprise license = 2 cores. So for a 16-core server you'll need a total of 8 licenses.

One license = one core. 16 cores, 16 licenses.

You buy the licenses in packs of two.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-2016-pricing

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • One license = one core. 16 cores, 16 licenses.

Incorrect. You can only buy licenses in packs of two. The the price mentioned above is for one license "pack". Meaning 2 cores. The double ** at the bottom of the URL you posted:

**Editions sold in the per-core licensing model are sold as 2 core packs.

I've spent over $170,000 over a 6 year period on the 12 licenses of Enterprise Edition to cover the 24 cores we are running. Planned and purchased through a licensed Microsoft re-seller.

• nal4236 (12/2/2016)

One license = one core. 16 cores, 16 licenses.

Incorrect. You can only buy licenses in packs of two.

Indeed you can only buy licenses in packs of two, as my post clearly stated. A 16 core server requires 16 licenses which means buying 8 license packs. Not, as your post stated

So for a 16-core server you'll need a total of 8 licenses.

You mixed up license and license pack there.

16 cores = 16 licenses = 8 license packs.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Sounds like we're basically saying the same thing, we're just getting caught up in terminology. You cannot buy a single SQL Enterprise license that covers one single CPU core. SQL Enterprise licenses are only sold in the 2-core "pack", essentially what I'm referring to as a "single SQL Enterprise license" since you do not have the option to buy anything smaller. This line item has an associated cost and part number. In this example, that part number cost is $7,128.00. (That price is negotiable dependent on the deal you can make with Microsoft.) If you found licenses for $7,128, that means $7,128 for one "license" which is equivalent to 2-cores. Not $7,128 for one single core. Licenses are only sold in the 2-pack. So in this example, 16-cores means you will be purchasing a quantity of 8 licenses (or "license packs", depending on what terminology you want to use). So your effective cost is $7,128 * 8 = $57,024. If you buy that as a new Enterprise Agreement (EA), or at the start of a new 3-year EA then your yearly cost will be $57,024 / 3 years = $19,008 per year for 3 years.

Clear as mud?

• nal4236 (12/3/2016)

SQL Enterprise licenses are only sold in the 2-core "pack", essentially what I'm referring to as a "single SQL Enterprise license" since you do not have the option to buy anything smaller.

Yup, I'm well aware of that.

I was clarifying the terminology for the OP and others reading this who aren't as clued up on licencing, since saying "for a 16-core server you'll need a total of 8 licenses." could easily lead someone to conclude that they need a total of 8 licenses, and since licenses are sold in packs of two, they go any buy 4 packs, since "one SQL Enterprise license = 2 cores"

sayedkhalid: To summarise, you have a 16 core server, so you need to buy 16 licenses. All visible cores must be licensed. Licenses are sold in packs of two, hence you need to buy 8 license pack (each containing two core licenses). Is that any clearer?

Gail Shaw

• nal4236 (12/3/2016)

Sounds like we're basically saying the same thing, we're just getting caught up in terminology. You cannot buy a single SQL Enterprise license that covers one single CPU core. SQL Enterprise licenses are only sold in the 2-core "pack", essentially what I'm referring to as a "single SQL Enterprise license" since you do not have the option to buy anything smaller. This line item has an associated cost and part number. In this example, that part number cost is $7,128.00. (That price is negotiable dependent on the deal you can make with Microsoft.) If you found licenses for $7,128, that means $7,128 for one "license" which is equivalent to 2-cores. Not $7,128 for one single core. Licenses are only sold in the 2-pack. So in this example, 16-cores means you will be purchasing a quantity of 8 licenses (or "license packs", depending on what terminology you want to use). So your effective cost is $7,128 * 8 = $57,024. If you buy that as a new Enterprise Agreement (EA), or at the start of a new 3-year EA then your yearly cost will be $57,024 / 3 years = $19,008 per year for 3 years.

Clear as mud?

you are still half pricing things, though.

a license's which covers two cores is $14,256 , which is $7,128 per core, as I stated originally.

16 cores still will cost you over 100K, minus any discounts you might get after talking to Microsoft directly.

I've seen discounted prices for non-profit agencies at roughly half the price of a normal license.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply