10GB Database backup fails on UNC drive

• I have a Maint Plan which does a full backup nightly for about 30 DBs in one instance. All backups complete successfully except for two which are each 8 - 10 GB in size.

Error log indicates "112(There is not enough space on the disk.)" The destination for the backup is a removable USB drive on a remote server. The USB drive has about 850GB free.

-It doesn't appear to be a connectivity issue because all the other DB backups are successful.

-When I run the backup TSQL (same from the maint plan error log) I get the same error

-When I run the backup TSQL and change the destination to a local share (which only has about 30GB free) the backup is successful.

-I have also moved the tempdb data files to a share which has about 120GB free thinking that the local drive was initating the "not enough disk space" error. This did not resolve the issue.

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks,

Nick

• Could you successfully move the backup file you created locally to the UNC location?

• Hi Sorry for the double post...

I will try to copy the file to the UNC in a bit - we have actually just been evacuated from our building and my Sys Admin grabbed the USB drive in case it is a real disaster situation - go figure.

In response to Jamie from the ADMINISTERING forum

What happens when you backup to the network server, but use an internal volume instead of USB?

What is the largest database size that does work sucessfully?

>>I successfully backed up the same DB to the C drive on the remote server

>>Looks like the largest DB which was successful is about 5.5 GB, every DB over 6GB fails

Thanks,

Nick

• what file system is the USB drive formatted with?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• So in response to "Can I copy the backup file to the USB drive"

The answer is no. Windows throws an error "Cannot copy file xxxx: The Parameter is Incorrect"; although, I can copy smaller files.

I asked the Sys Admin about file system earlier today because I noticed it said it was FAT32; however, he said it was partitioned both NTFS and FAT32. Could that be the issue? Does FAT32 prevent files over 6GB or something?

• FAT32 does not support file sizes of over 4GB (4294967296 bytes - 1), also your partition size is capped @ 32GB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks Perry... should've trusted my instincts earlier.

Reformatted as NTFS and all is well.

Thanks again,

Nick

• your welcome

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply