100GB of Cube size!!

• Hi,

We are about to start a new project. Which is still in requirement gathering phase.

We identified that the SSAS Cube size is going to 100GB and Database size would be 500GB. I am curious to know if SQL Server 2008 R2 has the capacity to handle such huge data?

How long it might take to process such a cube. What technology would we go for in this case?

Thanks in advance!!

Sudhanva

• sudhanva (6/15/2012)

We identified that the SSAS Cube size is going to 100GB and Database size would be 500GB. I am curious to know if SQL Server 2008 R2 has the capacity to handle such huge data?

500GB is not huge..... for SQL Server...

You should buy the hardware with capacity to handle the load. SQL Server would certainly handle this.

• Yahoo has SQL Server cubes that go into the terabytes.

You'll be fine as long as the hardware can handle it and as long as your processing window is large enough.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Put down the keyboard, breathe and step away from the Analysis Instance.

100gb is nothing. Microsoft is a robust product, and will amaze you.

Like Koen said, terabytes are hosted and managed, so 100gb is really not anything to worry about.

😎

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Thank you all for your respose. It relieved me.:cool:

Currently we are using hosting dot com service which has Windows Server 2008 R2. 24GB Ram.

What should be the server configuration in such case? Appreciate if you share any info on this as well. And how long will the cube refresh takes place? Do we need to proactive caching?

Regards,

Sudhanva

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply