10 Steps to Securing your SQL Server

• good an helpful

• Hi, everyone. I've got 2 questions.

1. About removing the BuiltIn\Administrator log-in...I inherited a system. If SQL server already starts under a domain log-in and that log-in has a SQL log-in, you're saying that I can safely remove the BuiltIn\Administrator log-in? This is a production system, so I don't want to bring anything to a screeching halt.

2. Regarding auding failed logins, wouldn't just setting an alert to fire off an e-mail when a failed login happens be a little much? What other criteria would you put into such an alert?

Thanks...Chris

• Some great tips Brian! I would also add to your tips on securing SQL Server...as we know things are always changing:

1) Find out who has permissions where on all your SQL Servers.

2) Assess your SQL Server security by running it through the Center for Internet Security (CIS) checks for 2000 or 2005 or other Security checks from Microsoft like the Best Practices Analyzer from MS.

Both of these are not easy activities to perform, however you are in luck, there is a great tool you can download that will give you this functionality. It is from Idera (the SQL tool guys) and they keep raising the bar when it comes to functionality.

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

This article was really helpful in getting good knowledge. To know about penetration testing, its applications and the different services associated with it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply