10 Bad Things About Reporting Services 2008 R2

• Anyone lost the data drop boxes on a chart? You can usually make them appear by double clicking in the chart area but I've lost them completely on a couple of occasions, restarting the project didn't help. Regenerating the chart from scratch was the easy way to fix it...

• peterw 85974 (9/6/2011)

It could be worse. You could be using Crystal Reports.

Oh I disagree... give me CR XIR2 anyday over RB3/Report Models. At least CR made sense. It may be clunky sometimes, but it makes sense and is logical, and I can turn anybody with experience with Access's reports loose with it and get good reports from them.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• I completely agree with you about the groupoing pane and the (in)ability to easily freeze columns or headers while scrolling (or on new pages). That was WAY easier in 2005 and took a big step backwards in 2008.

• Dennis Dollahite (9/6/2011)

I'll tell you what is REALLY missing, after working with Crystal Reports for years.

I'd just like the page layout of Crystal. Having to next Lists inside of each other to get a grouped formal looking report seems ridiculous, give me groups along the page side like CR has.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• The difficulty of getting the column headers to repeat with SSRS 2008+ is downright disgraceful. I can't believe this is still an issue in R2. There is no reasonable scenario in which a user should be able to click something that says "repeat column headers on every page" and then the column headers don't repeat! I shouldn't have to go googling with Bing for blog posts and KB articles to get this basic feature working; what is the point of the checkbox? I know there is sometimes a nitpicky academic reason they don't repeat - the checkbox should just fix that. Even so, SSRS is still buggy with this. I have a handful of reports where the column header repeat doesn't work properly even after trying every permutation of "keep together" and etc. (2008 SP2)

I love SSRS, but geez, Microsoft!!!

• There are more good things about ssrs 2008 R2. Shared dataset is one of the cool features. As said in the article we can manage it using stored procedures. But the best thing is we can cache the shared dataset, reset the cache using the schedulers.

• I also can't believe that there is no ability to move columns in a tablix (i.e. drag and drop).

• One of my big issues is that you cannot get the reports to work within earlier versions of SharePoint (technically, you can, but it's a major headache).

Beyond that, I agree with the .xlsx export issue; it's especially painful in an office where there are different versions of Excel floating throughout.

In regards to the <<Expression>> thingy, I would like to see the ability to create "named" expressions, similar to the functionality to create functions in the Code piece, and then have the textbox display the name of the expression.

• SSRS SQL 2008 and 2008 R2 is unforunatley unusable to us, so we are stuck with SSRS 2005. We need the ability to autoprint reports(in PDF, works in other formats) directly to a printer using a web app. While this can be done in SQL 2005, they changed 2008 and now there is a critical bug where PDFs will not print more than the first page. I have seen posts for this issue all over the internet, with no true fix, only faulty recommendations. Even if you can get it to print multiple pages, you can't get the auto page # to print, since the report doesn't know the number of pages in a PDF until it is done. It has something to do with printing images, which a PDF is. Total Micosoft fail. After weeks of planning, I was within 1 hour of deployment, then I relized this critical flaw after trying to print that was more than 1 page. To be honest, I'm not sure how anyone uses this product as I would assume most departments would need to autoprint to a printer.

• Yeah, the Emperor has no clothes, but he's the only one we got.

• Well, after 7 years of SSRS development, the sophistication, fine-grain controllability, and user friendly options is DECREASING, not increasing. My only conclusion by now is that the only true option for true report design is Crystal Reports. The latest version is OK for a quick, simple report, but forget about the kind of control and finesse required by today's complex business reports. The typical cost for CR is less than $495 per seat.

• Daniel Hallam (9/5/2011)

the lack of exporting to .xlsx is my number one hatred but the article definitely rings true

This is really my biggest pet peeve too. I've looked into 3rd party apps to do this, but I'm hesitant to make a move. We're going to Excel 2010 in house and we may move away from SSRS altogether and go with Power Pivot.

• There are few more I identified, if someone can verify these issues are correct would be great.

1. Drill down, the + and - symbol conflicts when the visibility of an object ( table or any group level) is configured to hide and assign an toggle item to it... the behaviour of the + and - symbols works as oppose to they are supposed to be.

2. Table column width is not being rendered correctly from the report server. Meaning, it works differently from what we design. The width is getting starched to accommodate the header value or detail value some time (as per what I observed) and become out of control to "can grow" property = true/false. I think that there is no property to control the behaviour of column width to make it fixed width

3. Shared Dataset -- it is really good thing, I am having lot of advantages over this feature

• I totally agree with the differences when previewing and rendering in the browser. I spend probably 80% of my time trying to get the report to look right because I can't trust what's in the preview. Even better would be to allow me to move objects around while still in preview mode - like Crystal Reports does.

• Crystal Reports is so far more advanced that SSRS. I'm being forced to try to migrate from CR to SSRS, but I can't find any good reason why SSRS is a better product. It's slow, non-intuitive, and did I mention slow.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply