Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Fun with Transactions - Part IV

Fun with Transactions - Part IV

Author
cengland0
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
p0peye (9/23/2010)
Please correct me if i am wrong...

My understanding is, you wont be able to commit or rollback inner transaction separately as the outer transaction will override with its commit/rollback command. If this is true, why do we need to use nested transactions or in which scenario nested transactions can be used?

let me know if my question is not clear

_________
Andrew

Having the ability to nest transactions is necessary for stored procedures that might call other stored procedures. Each one might have it's own transaction embedded in the code. Otherwise, it's not really necessary to nest them like in the example.

This was a good question. I debated between the first and last choices and ultimately picked the wrong one. I wasn't sure because I knew that the inner commits are ignored and only the outer transaction really means anything. If you commit the outer transaction, all inner transactions are also committed. If you rollback the outer transaction, all inner transactions are also rolled back (regardless if you committed the inner transaction or not).

This one had a rollback in the inner transaction so I also ignored that one and assumed everything would be rolled back anyway -- WRONG! Causes an error because you cannot rollback inner transactions.
ziangij
ziangij
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

thanks, i was looking for an explaination wherein we save the inner transaction...:-)

tommyh (9/23/2010)
p0peye (9/23/2010)
Please correct me if i am wrong...

My understanding is, you wont be able to commit or rollback inner transaction separately as the outer transaction will override with its commit/rollback command. If this is true, why do we need to use nested transactions or in which scenario nested transactions can be used?

let me know if my question is not clear

_________
Andrew

Now this is a bit out off my league. But i would say that your partly correct. You cant commit an inner transaction and then later rollback the outer one. You can however using "save transaction" rollback a part and then commit the rest. Like this

create table #TransTest (i integer)

begin tran OuterTran
insert into #TransTest (i) values (1)

save tran InnerTran
insert into #TransTest (i) values (2)
rollback tran InnerTran

commit tran OuterTran

select * from #TransTest

drop table #TransTest

Here only one value is inserted into the table the second row is rolled back.

/T

Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Good question. Ahh......the subtleties of SQL Server. Thanks.
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

looking at the options, I thought option one would be the right answer. Since both inner and outer rollback, query would return zero rows.

then executed it and got right answer.

Thanks for all questions on rollback series .

SQL DBA.
Bradley Deem
Bradley Deem
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)

Great series of questions. Although, I think the correct answer is actually option 1 and option 3. IE

The following error is raised "Cannot roll back InnerTran. No transaction or savepoint of that name was found." and All transactions are rolled back and an empty recordset is returned.

Now, if you had SET XACT ABORT ON then it would have just been option 3 as the batch would abort and the select would not be executed. Lucky, I figured you were looking for the error so I chose option 3 and got it right.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Thanks for the question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

deepak.a
deepak.a
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (562 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (562 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (562 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (562 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (562 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (562 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (562 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (562 reputation)

Thanks for the nice Question Smile
tilew-948340
tilew-948340
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)

thank you for the question and thanks to all the people that gived more examples to explain it because I have read the microsoft explanation but my comprehension of it was somewhat wrong
Hardy21
Hardy21
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Good series of questions Nakul. Thanks

Thanks
amit_adarsh
amit_adarsh
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)

Perfect explanation and example .
:-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.